Clogged toilet, air bubbling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodi

Reaction score
Yesterday our 5 year old clogged the toilet, maybe just with paper as she has denied putting anything else in there. This is an upstairs low-flow toilet. My regular plunger didn't make a seal so I went to Lowe's and bought one special-shaped; this also did not work. I tried pouring Drano down it and let it sit and flushed; we now just have clear water in the bowl, but it is still clogged. Yes, I read afterward that you are not supposed to use Drano in a toilet. Went back to Lowe's and bought a toilet auger ($30) but after going the full length, it did not hit or reach the clog.

When we run water in the sink in that bathroom, the toilet bubbles up with air-blub, blub, blub. Turn off the sink, bubbles stop. The same thing happens when we turn on the kitchen sink, located directly below this bathroom.

I checked the crawl space where the plumbing is, and there do not appear to be any leaks. No water has seeped out of the toilet anywhere, it is just not flushing completely and stays nearly filled to the top. Not sure where to go from here. Wondering if it's worth it to buy a snake and put it down the bathroom sink?

Last edited:
Sometimes it is just better just to make a call to a local plumber and let him snake your line. I guarantee it will be worth it when you pay for the gas to drive to the hardware store, purchasing the incorrect items, and returning. Just remember to let him know you have used chemicals in the toilet so he could be better protected.

Back