Clogged Sewer Vent?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cam

Reaction score
Three things I've noticed all start to happen about the same time:
1. The master bathroom toilet (top floor) gurgles or burps when flushed. Not all the time, but maybe every couple of flushes
2. The other top floor toilet seems to be flushing slightly slower than I recall.
3. The main floor toilet sometimes has the water level in the bowl drop half an inch or so. Once again it's nothing regular which leads me to believe it's not a toilet leak but somehow related to venting air.

However we haven't noticed any sewage smells at all. So I'm guessing the roof vent might be partially blocked (we live in the woods so birds and leaves are a possibility), just not sure if this explains all three observations.

I tried pouring some water in there but it didn't seem to help. I ran my short (~5') snake in there but didn't encounter any problems.

If it sounds like a vent problem would you guys recommend I try and run the garden hose in there, or am I setting myself up for bigger problems? How about Drano, could I pour some down there and hope it eats up any blockage?

Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a partially blockage in the drain , or maybe the vent. You should have a plumber come out and power snake the system. The water level in main floor toilet could be caused by siphoning due to blockage or The bowl is not getting water from the fill valve after the toilet is flushed.

I had one of the boys flush the upstairs toilet while I watched the main floor toilet. I didn't see any bubbles but the water starting 'moving' up and down a bit and the level might have dropped a small amount. Do you think that would point more towards a vent or drain blockage?

I'm guessing a partial blocked drain. Could be roots, could be fragments in the pipes allowing snagging, could be cold grease or sludge, or anything else. Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and get a professional in there and really clean up the lines. I don't have extra money to throw away but the peace of mind with unclogged pipes is well worth it IMHO!

I have thought "clogged vent" several times in my career, but almost every time it has turned out to be a clogged drain. Not that vent clogs don't happen, and when they do they cause problems, but clogged drains happen much more often.

Thanks for the help guys. Would a plumber run a power snake (or equivalent) through all the drains when looking at this... or just the main sewer line out to the septic tank? Just trying to figure out if I should bring in a plumber or try and use the same guy I plan on bringing out next month to suck the septic holding tank.

The septic system should be pumped every 3 years, If it has been more than 3 years I would call a septic guy ,if less I would call a plumber .

Back