Clogged drain in unit above causes flood in unit below?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangre

Reaction score
I had a clogged kitchen sink drain in my condo unit on the fifth floor. I believe it was from some potting soil I washed down the drain as I had planted some potted plants in the sink a couple months back. Maybe a liter of soil, no more than two. I washed it down with plenty of water. On June 20th I noticed my kitchen sink wouldn't drain. All other drains were fine, bathtub, 2 toilets, two bathroom sinks, and the laundry drained fine. I plunged the kitchen sink and put chemicals down it. No help.

I went and bought a 12 foot drain auger, just a cheapy hand crank. I got through some black stuff 3 feet in. Assumed it was the potting soil. Tried the drain, wouldn't drain water. So I tried again and went all the way with the auger. Pulled it out, no signs of any debris on the auger end. But drain wouldn't drain water. I contacted the condo management company. They refereed me to an auger drain company they had used before. He came 3 days later as I didn't want to pay after hours rate and wasn't in a crisis. He spent three hours trying to clean it with his augers. He tried a 25 foot one and a fifty foot one. He believed the auger was hitting the T in the drain where down was the main sewer drop for my unit and the ones below me. He believed it was hitting the clog and going up instead of digging down into the clog.

He suggested getting someone more professional. I contacted a couple well named ones and they wanted hundreds of dollars. I had recently been layed off from my job and was working minimum wage now so was wanting to save money. So I thought I would delay a few days until I could be home and could get someone over on normal work hours.

Then 2 days ago I get an email from the condo management that on June 17th, the vacant unit below me had drain issues and had water leak into the unit from these drain issues. They said it was clogged. I replied, yes my drain was still plugged. They wanted me to take off time from work to deal with it, they would arrange for a different drain cleaning company to come. I said I couldn't take time off the next day. They said they would have them go into the unit below me, the one below me and clean the drain. The next day I get an email, asking me to check my drain. Mine was still plugged, plugged solid as no water would drain. All the other times it was a slow drain, it would take a few hours but it would drain. Now it never moved overnight.

They arranged to have the drain cleaning company come into my unit yesterday and clean it while I was at work. I get home and they slipped a letter under my door saying I was the cause of the water leakage in the unit below me. They had found sand in the drains and I was liable for cleanup and damages.

Of course I was furious, and I don't have insurance, which is my gamble, and definitely understand I lost that. I don't understand how I could have caused water to come up there drains. The place was vacant, so why is water running? And why did they have a flood on the 17th when I didn't notice until 3 or four days later mine was clogged. And why were all my other drains fine and draining water and their's were not?

Potting soil??? Really??
Are you trying to justify that you did nothing wrong?

Yeah you messed up. Not good What you did.

You ever seen the inside of a kitchen drain pipe.
Very common to see a hole through a 2" pipe to be about 3/4" diameter.

Clogged drain lines

Last edited:
The explanation to this is pretty simple if you're looking for closure. Fluids ALWAYS flow from a region of high pressure to low pressure. Additionally, when there is more than one region of low pressure, fluids find the path of least resistance.
In condo buildings and in homes, all drains from various fixtures lead to the common header out. If one line is plugged (high pressure), the fluids will move towards unplugged lines (low pressure). Since nobody was living in the flat below you, all their drain lines in the kitchen were empty and thereby low in pressure. I use the term fluids (not liquids) because fluids include gases, i.e. water vapour, ammonia, methane, etc. Ammonia and Methane are released by the bacteria in rotting food particles. Now imagine a 3/4" to 2" diameter shared by vapour space, liquids, and solids (soil, food, etc.)

I hope that helps with closure.

In future, soil should be discarded in the compost or outdoors in the garden. Never in the toilet or sink. I use a small mesh to trap solids like food particles from going into my kitchen drains.

2892-1.zoom.a.jpg

Ok everyone relax pretty sure op figured out potting soil was a bad idea when it happened.

As for the drain issue, the unit below you would have to have a clog below them to come up in their sink that may have been caused by you (unlikely since sand wouldn't get caught in the vertical pipe) however if your sink was still full and they got the one below unclogged then it wasn't coming up from you.

Now if it was leaking through the ceiling or walls then that is due to old plumbing or a hole poked in the pipe by the drain guy (who was recommended by the condo). Looks like they just want someone to blame.

Good Luck,
Professional drain cleaner

Back