Clearing clogged rainfall shower head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfplumnoob

Reaction score
Hi,
Many of the holes have become clogged on our rainfall shower head and need to cleared. I tried that rub the holes and even poked some of the clogged holes with a pin but they remain clogged It seems like a vinegar soak and cleaning is my next step.

I don't want to hang a bag filled with the cleaning solution off of the showerhead given the size and weight of the bag that would be required so I need to remove the shower head. I can't figure out how to remove the shower head as there is not an obvious threading/connection point. I've attached a photo below. Can anyone advise how to remove this shower head (sorry but I don't have the manufacturer or model info)?

The shower head is black so I'm a bit worried about vinegar staining the surface. Is using vinegar problematic for black finishes? Any other products that you would suggest if vinegar isn't a safe option? Thanks!

View attachment IMG_5422.movIMG_5418.jpegIMG_5419.jpeg

Should just unscrew. Just protect the finish by using rubber between the pliers and the metal shower head. It looks like a good finish. If vinegar doesn't work, try CLR.

CLR or equivalent would take care of calcium or lime deposits but if the particulate blocking the holes from some other source, stuff from the breaking down of the sacrificial anode in the water heater, rubber from O-rings or other gaskets, etc., you may have to figure out a way to reverse flush the device or replace it.

Should just unscrew. Just protect the finish by using rubber between the pliers and the metal shower head. It looks like a good finish. If vinegar doesn't work, try CLR.
Any thoughts on the location of the screw point? I tried unscrewing it and there is a pivot joint (which you can see in the photo) that allows rotation but it doesn’t twist off.

Thanks a bunch!

CLR or equivalent would take care of calcium or lime deposits but if the particulate blocking the holes from some other source, stuff from the breaking down of the sacrificial anode in the water heater, rubber from O-rings or other gaskets, etc., you may have to figure out a way to reverse flush the device or replace it.
Thanks. I’ll check out the CLR. Isn’t that what Barry Bonds used to hit all of those home runs ;-)

Use a pair of rubber lined pliers (I use those soft rubber jar opening helpers used in a kitchen as my rubber backing) and grip below the swivel, in that 3/4" piece of pipe, which is the first thing next to the shower head. It should unscrew from that point. Be aware there could be a rubber washer, or even a semi-clogged filter up there once it unscrews. Remember as you are looking up at the shower head, it should unscrew counter clockwise.

Back