Cistern?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russt

Reaction score
When we purchased a country property in the central valley of California, we were told about this hole that had been somewhat filled up and covered. The people who lived here for 30+ years or so said they kept it covered but from time to time, it would sink and or the wood they covered it with would rot and they would cover it again to protect the children and dogs. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Could it have been a cistern for water that trash was then disposed up after they had a well put in? It is 4' in diameter and for some reason, at some point, circa 1950's, someone built a small outbuilding which is now a garage right next to it. The area of the garage that abuts this "hole" we were told at one time was an insulated room where they hung meat. Based on the framing of the structure, it does not appear that any door or window was adjacent to this hole in the ground. Other than what I have shared, none of the neighbors in the area have any idea what it is. Any assistance/ideas in determining what this "hole" is would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0932 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0932 Medium.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0933 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0933 Medium.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0934 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0934 Medium.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0935 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0935 Medium.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0938 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_0938 Medium.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure what the water table depth is there, but it could be a hand dug well.

But it could also be a small duck pond as the one picture shows a duck looking sadly at the dry hole. LOL

I would break up the top portions of the walls down about 18" and fill the area with dirt.

Thank you for the replies. In regard to the duck, he acts like a dog and follows me around the place unless the dog is here and he will follow the dog around instead. ;-)

Back