chug chug chug chug?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s your pressure ?

While the zone is operating, go to the meter and see how many gallons per minute you’re running.

What size pipe at the backflow device ?

This is the audio of the chug chug chug,,,,,,,,, and the bang bang bang. The volume is kind of low, you probably have to use a headset to hear the chug BUT the bang is loud enough to hear.

Attachments

• My_sprinkler_system.mp3
    213.3 KB · Views: 10
What’s your water pressure ?

Show pics of the piping at the backflow device.

Turn a zone on and while it’s running start turning off the outlet valve on the backflow device.

Keep turning it down until the noise stops.

If this works, install more zone valves so you’re flowing less water per zone.

Yep,,, I tried closing the exit valve on the breaker. The sound quits when the water stops flowing

The backflow device has been rebuilt and works as intended. I have been thinking about calling the water company.

Febco says that chatter during flow conditions…….

check for worn, damaged or defective check valve guide.
I’d probably remove the Febco temporarily and see if my noise went away. Easy for me to do…..

This is the audio of the chug chug chug,,,,,,,,, and the bang bang bang. The volume is kind of low, you probably have to use a headset to hear the chug BUT the bang is loud enough to hear.

That's EXACTLY the sound my system made...from 1992 when installed, until 2019 when we sold the home. I think it's characteristic of the extremely high flow rate of a zone through that 1" pipe. Never caused an issue. If the noise bothers you that's another story. Have you checked with your neighbors? If they have similar I bet theirs makes the same noise too.

I had the water company come out and change the meter,,,, this fixed the chug chug chug chug sound. It still does the bang bang bang bang. My psi for the sprinkler system is 100 psi. I am going to install a regulator on that line and reduce it to 75 psi. I am also changing the valve diaphragms.

I had the water company come out and change the meter,,,, this fixed the chug chug chug chug sound. It still does the bang bang bang bang. My psi for the sprinkler system is 100 psi. I am going to install a regulator on that line and reduce it to 75 psi. I am also changing the valve diaphragms.
It’s strange you couldn’t hear the chug chug chug with a stethoscope at the meter but it ended up being the meter.

Ancient alien theorist say “ yes “ 👽

…water company come out and change the meter…this fixed the chug chug chug… psi for the sprinkler system is 100 psi.

Mine was the meter. But you initially said yours wasn’t so I didn’t push it. As my meter was original from 1992, clearly a feature not a problem.

As for the 100 psi, it’s a bit high for inside a home—don’t know about irrigation, but 75 sounds more reasonable.

After reducing the pressure to 75 psi 90 % of the hammer, bang bang bang went away, but yesterday I did have it again between 2 zones. After changing the valve diaphragms and reducing the pressure,,,, I really don't get it.

Has anyone had the experience of a bang bang bang bang between two zone valves? Everything else has checked OK.

Has anyone had the experience of a bang bang bang bang between two zone valves? Everything else has checked OK.
All the time, it’s a quick closing valve.

I’ve tried all sorts of stuff to stop it or control it.

I control my irrigation with hand valves. All the heads are above ground. No bang, no back flow protection ✌️

Back