Choosing a whole house water filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMichaels

Reaction score
Hello, I posted a thread about a concerning build up of sediment in my toilet tank. Most of the responses agreed it looked like iron. One response suggested I could mitigate that by DIY installing a whole house filter for around $50. That is a very appealing idea and I thought the best way to follow up on the advice was to create a new thread. I looked at Home Depot and the prices seemed to start at several hundred dollars up to the thousands. Can anyone give me some direction or advice on this process.

Relevant facts: on well water, great tasting clear water, passed drinking water test in 2019 except for radon levels, we have a whole house radon mitigation system that as far as I know doesn't have a replaceable filter it just somehow off gases the radon out a pvc conduit to the outside.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
It might cost a little over $50 now, the way everything is going up, but this filter housing is only $17.48! I installed this one a couple of years ago at our winter home in AZ, and I think everything was under $50. Filter housing, filter element, 2 pex push on adapters, 3/4 ball valve, and a 3/4 X 6" nipple. This is what I have at all 3 of my places, and they work fine for what I call a normal house. If you have 5 bathrooms and want to use them all and do laundry at the same time then it wouldn't work very well!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH04F/100471282

Attachments

• Water filter.JPG
    Water filter.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 0
That is really great info! Thank you. I am going to proceed with this. Does it have any impact on water pressure?

Very little in my case, I use 10 micron string wound filters, your results may vary. When I notice any drop in flow/pressure, I change the filter. They usually last 3-6 months, but we have pretty good water, but it has iron, that the softener takes out pretty well. If you saw the filter elements that I take out you wouldn't want to use the water without a filter! A few years ago we were getting a lot of silt in our well water, because they were dewatering for a construction project 1/4 mile away. the filter housing would be 1/2 full of silt when I changed the filter. Once they completed the construction project all is OK again.

Add a couple of drops of bleach to a glass of your clear water. If it turns brown then no particulate filter will work, as the iron is dissolved and you’ll need an iron system. I had good luck with a system from The Clean Water Store, just do your yearly maintenance and you’ll be fine for decades.

Our refrigerator has a filter in it, but it lasts for at least 5 years. Our main filter is right ahead of the softener, we have a hard water line to the kitchen for drinking water, and it has it's own charcoal filter. It has been said that you shouldn't drink softened water.

Latest posts

Back