Chinese no hub cast iron vs Charlotte

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
How do pipes , fittings, and ferncos compare? Realized I bought a bag of full of Chinese stuff cast iron when I got home and I'm nervous to install it.

I bought no hub elbows and ferncos. I noticed how much lighter they are than Charlotte.

and.......i bet there is little to no coating on the cast, which protects it from rotting in the ground

They are being used for an indoor shower. Does it make a difference in that application?

bf6d5e1419b0590220f8382ca5abd284.jpg

I would be more concerned with the couplings you got to put them together.
You said fernco? If it's like the first picture below with a big X, those are not the right couplings to use.
You have to use NO-HUB couplings

fernco.jpg

no-hub.jpg

Last edited:
This was probably made right here in the good ole USA.
Cast iron is what it is. But No-Hub soil pipe is not made the same way it was
50 yrs ago when it was actually cast in molds with hubs and spigots.

057.jpg

038.jpg

I would be more concerned with the couplings you got to put them together.

You said fernco? If it's like the first picture below with a big X, those are not the right couplings to use.

You have to use NO-HUB couplings

Yep, I'm using no hub couplings.

I would recommend using black swan on your installation

paint the pipe with a 1'' brush as you assemble the no hub bands

you also need a ''t wrench'' available at any plumbing supply store

it is a torque wrench for the bands, use it and a 5 /16 nut driver
s-l300.jpg

312b0124dd7b1744342865b8dcba0a3e.jpg

Last edited:
We sell a lot of New Age cast iron here at my place. I was on the fence about it not being Charlotte. But yes, it is coated inside and out. Not a glaze finish but more of a powder coating. Not sure what the process is. Our big commercial guys love it. BUt I am still on the fence. I'm more old school and would like to see more domestic product sold.

We sell a lot of New Age cast iron here at my place. I was on the fence about it not being Charlotte. But yes, it is coated inside and out. Not a glaze finish but more of a powder coating. Not sure what the process is. Our big commercial guys love it. BUt I am still on the fence. I'm more old school and would like to see more domestic product sold.

most of the projects i work on are

federal contracts require only american made products

most of the projects i work on are

federal contracts require only american made products

Supposedly this stuff is fired in Texas. Don't know how that works unless the company is Chinese owned.

Latest posts

Back