"Chemical Smell" Coming From Under Kitchen Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InquiringMind

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post to the Plumbing Forums, so please forgive me if I break any rules! I admittedly do not know much about plumbing, so I have come to ask you all about my smelly sink! We moved in to an apartment a few months ago (I live in Kansas, with the complex built around 2011) and noticed a strong smell coming from under the kitchen sink. Sometimes you can smell it in the kitchen, but it becomes very apparent when you open the under-sink cabinet doors. Interestingly enough, it is not a "poopy" or rotten smell, but more of a cleaning supply or adhesive smell. We figured it may be some sealant or something they may have been applied and figured it would go away. Unfortunately, months later, it still smells! We have finally been airing it out a little, but it is difficult as there are no nearby windows or outside venting. It does seem to dissipate the longer the cabinet doors are open, but seems to re-accumulate shortly after closing the doors again. We removed everything from under the sink (the maintenance guy smelled all my things to make sure it wasn't any of them haha, but basically told me to get some garbage disposal cleaner and try that, or some orange peels. While he was over checking it out, he dumped a large amount of my dish soap down both drains with water and the garbage disposal running. His immediate efforts did not do much to tackle the smell), but the smell is still around. I put on a respirator I had to keep the smell from overwhelming me and tried to swab some suspect things with q-tips to see if they smelled. I think the closest smelling thing we may have found was some yellow looking stuff coming from between the pad glued to the under side of the sink, but very little of it is actually visible (a thin line of this adhesive looking stuff can be seen around the drainage pipe connected the bottom of the sink. I didn't get a good picture of it but can maybe try again).

I am worried that it may be harmful and that is why I have come to you all for any advice. I also asked the maintenance guy if they had done anything under the sink just before we moved in and he said no. I am not sure why it would be smelling so odd for so long. I have some pictures, and can take more, but thought I would just see if you all have any "usual suspects" before I just start posting tons of pictures of a seemingly normal looking under-sink area (and I'm not sure the best way to post pictures, maybe just via attachments?). Any tips from you all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

does the maint. Crew know if any flooring or rug wall paper

anything that was done before you moved in

if you are wearing a respirator you should get the air sampled

just dawned on me.....someone could have dumped something
down the drain and it may have dried on the pipe above the trap
that's along shot but possible????

What are your bottom cabinets sitting on

I noticed an automatic vent under you sink how tight is it
maybe take it out cap off that pipe temporarily don't use the sink
like the other poster said odors are hard to chase

I noticed your dishwasher door is open.....do you use it regularly

Last edited:
odors can be tough especially from where I'm sitting.
You a single level unit. what's below you? another unit, concrete slab, basement, empty subfloor space, ???

any cracks or hole in the wall.
what are the cabinets made of. white Melamine coated pressed boards or plywood.

I have attached some pictures as I see now they may be necessary. It is an island-ish (it has one small wall on one side) granite counter/kitchen sink area. Like I mentioned in the first post, maintenance said nothing was recently done to it. I did not specifically ask about flooring though, or wall paper. The smell does not seem to come from inside the sink or drain, and is only apparent when you open the cabinet doors. I am on the ground level of a three level apartment building. I do not believe there is anything in particular below me. The cabinets are a little dusty, we noticed the other night. No major looking cracks. Hopefully from these pictures you can tell which kind of material they are made of.

Thanks for the replies and questions! I'll try to keep answering as best and as quick as I can!

20180222_190844.jpg

20180222_190837.jpg

20180222_190645.jpg

20180222_190657.jpg

20180222_190704.jpg

20180222_190715.jpg

Geofd, the dishwasher door is actually closed (I went and tugged on it to make sure). We only use it about once a week. I am also not sure what the cabinet is sitting on. I can only see/feel some sort of wood paneling.

Thanks!

but a bag over that AAV on the drain vent and seal it with a zip tie or rubber band just to temporarily eliminate any odors coming from that.

Pull the kick plate panel off the bottom of dishwasher and check under DW.

Could it be the smell of CEDAR. Maybe that bottom of the cabinet is aromatic cedar. it does have an odd looking grain.

Interesting update!

So I was going to go inspect the wood some, and look at the AAV (I was thinking of bagging it as well to see if that helped), when something became really obvious. I was looking at the wood when I realized the innocent looking 3M strip type mess that was left behind by a previous tenant had some streaks of what once was a liquid coming down from it. We are thinking it is this cabinet door that may be the culprit! The smell is so strong and fills the cabinet so easily that not even the maintenance guy who was sitting down there smelling everything suspected it! We just scrubbed at it really well with some alcohol and got them up. The one on the left was the problem, it smells like the "smell"! It took a while but we got it up. The thing on the right was easy, it came up quickly, just like an adhesive strip. I am not sure what the thing on the left was, as it had more "foam" to it, but it smells and the cabinet door smells still after removing it (you can still see the streaks of whatever adhesive ran down the inside of the cabinet door. Those streaks are not coming up easily). I will have to keep scrubbing or cover the mess on the inside of the door to see if that makes the smell go away. I really hope we found the problem and feel silly that no one could pinpoint this until now, but time will tell if we eliminated the source of the smell!

Thanks!

20180222_200520.jpg

20180222_200712.jpg

20180222_200525.jpg

take a tissue put it in front of or above the pipe going into the
wall if it moves your getting air movement from the wall
if you use you dishwasher once a week leave the door open just
a little sometimes the gaskets can wear out

Take the door off and take it outside and try a little acetone on it.

It will take off the finish as well but It will evaporate quickly and not leave a smelly residue of it's own. Highly flammable so take it outside.

I would also purchase a few boxes of Arm and Hammer baking soda, and pour it into a dish under the sink. It will absorb odors.

Latest posts

Back