Check valves in showerhead

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesF

Reaction score
I recently had new Delta shower/tub hardware installed. The showerhead is a hand-held model. There are 2 check valves in series in the showerhead handle (as well as a screen and a flow-reducing orifice).

My question is: Why are two check valves (or even one) needed in the showerhead? Delta tech told me that in some areas, the check valves are required by law. There's certainly no backflow to worry about, because there's nowhere for the backflow to come from. Is this just another way (in addition to the orifice) to restrict water flow?

I know I can remove the check valves and orifice, so I'm just trying to determine if there's a technical reason not to.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

They are required by code. The way back-flow could take place is if the hand held was allowed to be submerged in water and the water was turned off before the faucet the contaminated water could siphon back into the water lines. I know what your thinking, the chances of that happening are slim, but we don't make the codes we just have to abide by them. The same setup is on kitchen faucets with pull out spouts.

John

Thanks for the reply, John. Just another case of a requirement to protect us against the (much, much less than) slim possibility of this happening.

Back