Check Valve, Foot Valve or Both?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddkru

Reaction score
I have a check valve located on the input water line from my shallow sand point well. It is located in the cabin right next to the pump, the well is outside in my shed. I find drawings where sand point installations have a foot valve. Do I assume that a check valve implies no foot valve?

I am asking because I am winterizing and do not understand if i need to worry about the water remaining in the line between the check valve and the shed? Will gravity return the water in the line back to the well? Or if there is a foot valve will that hold the water in the line between the cabin and the shed.

The line is underground and goes straight down into the earth inside my cabin.

Thanks!

The foot valve is or should be at bottom of suction pipe. It contains a check valve and a screen for sediment. 2 questions to know if you should worry. Is your pipe 12” below frontline for your area? Is your tank area heated? If no to either question then yes you need to cut pipe and cap the, tank side you can’t remove , and remove the down pipe. Then you can either go ahead and glue back on with a union so no cutting next year or put the suction pipe in house with ends covered. Glue back on in the spring. Good luck.

The check valve was likely installed because the foot valve started to fail. It’s a common temporary fix

Or there was a 16th-inch hole drilled just above the pump to drain the water down to below freeze line, and air/vacuum relief valve just before the pressure tank, and the second check valve to prevent the building from draining back.

Back