Changing out old ABS flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paqmanbiker

Reaction score
Hey everybody, new guy here. Just need some advice from the pros. So I'm redoing the flooring in my house, so I have to take up my toilets in the process. When I took up the first toilet, I noticed the metal flange ring was pretty badly rusted. So bad I had to drill out one of two of the screws because they just fell apart. So I need to replace the flange. But I'm not sure how to replace the old abs flange. I haven't completely cut it off down to the floor yet, but it looks like maybe it is going on the outside of the main pipe, but not sure. The inner diameter of the pipe is 3 inches. If I just lop off the flange level with the subfloor, can I just get a flange that will fit inside that 3 inch pipe and glue that in? Or do I need to somehow cut off the old flange off the outside of the pipe? (assuming that it is on the outside) Can I go ahead and cut the old flange level to the subfloor now to get a better idea of what I'm working with? I've replaced a toilet before, but have not had to replace the flange, and want to make sure I don't screw anything up that will cause me more costly repairs.

This flange looks like it will fit inside a 3 inch pipe. Can I just cut off the current one and cement this one in?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-PVC-Flange/50315065

Thanks for any help or advice. Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with.
20220306_121034.jpg
20220306_201036.jpg
20220306_201051.jpg

There is a replacement stainless outer ring that oatley sells you can probably get it at home Depot or Lowe's,it splits in half and fits around the existing pipe

There is a replacement stainless outer ring that oatley sells you can probably get it at home Depot or Lowe's,it splits in half and fits around the existing pipe
Ah, like this one?

Now if only I haven't ruined the integrity of the abs flange by cutting away the old ring. You can see some small cuts on the edge of the flange in my pics! But that is a great, easy solution.

Give it a shot , anchor it with stainless hardware or tap con screws made for concrete
Anchoring
Will do, thanks so much for the help, much easier than trying to replace the whole flange!

Also, I'd suggest using one of these. View attachment 34163
I already bought a Fluidmaster wax free seal, is there an advantage to this one over the Fluidmaster?

You can repair that with epoxy. IPS corporation makes an excellent epoxy product designed for pipe repair.

https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/bra...es/810-white-repair-and-fabrication-adhesive/
Cool, hadn't thought about that, thanks! The cuts don't seem to be enough to cause a problem, but maybe I will do that.

My closet auger has knocked those wax free thingys off the bowl before. I would avoid. Wax seals work fine.

My closet auger has knocked those wax free thingys off the bowl before. I would avoid. Wax seals work fine.
Yeah I waffled back and forth about just using a wax ring or going waxless, and from the reviews and videos, it kind of seemed like a tossup. Didn't seem to be any big drawbacks to going waxless. But I will still consider it. Come game time I guess I'll have to decide lol

I already bought a Fluidmaster wax free seal, is there an advantage to this one over the Fluidmaster?

Cool, hadn't thought about that, thanks! The cuts don't seem to be enough to cause a problem, but maybe I will do that.
It looks like the Fluidmaster doesn't extend as far down the pipe as the Fernco. From your pictures, it looks like the cuts would probably be covered by the Fernco's insertion depth, and then you wouldn't have to worry about using any epoxy. What I have also done is taken a wax ring, warmed it slightly, and filled the grooves of the Fernco Wax Free Toilet Seal with wax before inserting it in the pipe. It slides in and the wax provides a super seal to the pipe. With the Fernco, I don't see how a closet auger could knock it off the bowl as it become integral with the pipe and closet flange. And how often do you need to use a closet auger over a plunger?

It looks like the Fluidmaster doesn't extend as far down the pipe as the Fernco. From your pictures, it looks like the cuts would probably be covered by the Fernco's insertion depth, and then you wouldn't have to worry about using any epoxy. What I have also done is taken a wax ring, warmed it slightly, and filled the grooves of the Fernco Wax Free Toilet Seal with wax before inserting it in the pipe. It slides in and the wax provides a super seal to the pipe. With the Fernco, I don't see how a closet auger could knock it off the bowl as it become integral with the pipe and closet flange. And how often do you need to use a closet auger over a plunger?
True, in my 20 years of home ownership, we've never had to use an auger. I am still considering just using a wax ring, but I dunno.

True, in my 20 years of home ownership, we've never had to use an auger. I am still considering just using a wax ring, but I dunno.

You’re due then 🤣. Used whatever you’d like ✌️ I’ve never found the need for half the crap sold……

You’re due then 🤣. Used whatever you’d like ✌ I’ve never found the need for half the crap sold……
LOL so true!

OK while I have your ears, I have a bit of an emergency here I could use some advice on. This very toilet we're speaking of, I have had it off for a couple days now, and it's in the state you see in the pictures. Just the open pipe, with sacks stuffed in it to prevent gasses coming in the house. Well my wife called me saying the bathroom flooded. Of course getting under the half-installed vinyl plank, requiring me to rip some of it out to stop the spread.

So what would have made this pipe back up while it's open like this? The washing machine on the laundry room right next to this bathroom, also had a bit of water inside the water catch pan, making me think some backed up through there too. We haven't had any plumbing issues in this house so it can't be a coincidence this happens now. Is there some general pressure that builds up that doesn't manifest when the toilet is attached? Maybe my washer drain pan does back up occasionally and I don't notice? What's going on here?

Branch drain may have backed up or the main. You’ll need to run some water snd find out.

ok yeah I figured out what happened. There is a branch drain that drains into that pipe about 4 inches or so down the pipe. When I shoved my plastic bag in there to stop up the drain, I shoved it right at or below that branch drain. So when my wife was using the bathroom sink (and I believe when the washing machine drained, still verifying that), it filled up the drain overflowing.

As a side note…I always use one of these on open drain pipes…

So much more efficient than stuffing stuff down the pipe.

I only post it because I feel like a lot of people don’t know they exist. I keep one with my stuff for every size drain line in my house.

Attachments

• 85730378-8E39-43DC-A18F-732776ED6943.jpeg
    85730378-8E39-43DC-A18F-732776ED6943.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 3
Back