Changing angle valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berturu

Reaction score
Absolute beginner, so please bear with me if my question sounds moronic.

Need to change the angle valve that connects my water supply to my toilet flushing. Watched a few videos and it seems easy enough.

Only problem is, videos seem to all show valves with an accessible fastening nut. Mine on the other hand seems to be screwed into the wall (see pics 1 and 2).

It's threaded, so it's not a compression valve. How am I meant to unscrew the old valve without smashing the tile behind it? Picture 3 is of the replacement valve - same length and style as the old one.

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

tthat looks easy as pie.

turn off water to house
drain the water by opening a faucet
place a towel on floor below valve
with plyers..turn the valve left to loosen and remove.

pipe dope new valve and stick it in the hole turn it ti the right

Thanks for replying!

So just to confirm, I should twist the valve itself (using pliers)? Didn't want to try doing that for fear of snapping the valve in the pipe.

I hate seeing people use pliers in this situation because of the instinct to want to squeeze the handles real hard while trying to turn. This can distort pipes and make your job harder, not to mention marr the crap out of the shiny new valve you are installing. Use an adjustable wrench on the flat spots on the side of the valve.

I hate seeing people use pliers in this situation because of the instinct to want to squeeze the handles real hard while trying to turn. This can distort pipes and make your job harder, not to mention marr the crap out of the shiny new valve you are installing. Use an adjustable wrench on the flat spots on the side of the valve.

Thank you Matt.you are correct.

Thank you Frodo and Matt, thanks to your advice I now have a new, fully functional quarter turn angle valve :)

Back