Changing a copper connecter to a cast iron stack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't hit it with a hammer you could crack the cast iron. (big no no) Cut the copper pipe off as close to the fitting in the cast iron as possible. Using a hacksaw blade make two cuts on the inside of brass fitting a 1/2" apart. Being careful not to cut into the threads in the cast iron fitting. (take your time) After you have made the two cuts pick out the small section of brass. (it must be removed the entire length of the fitting) Then using channel lock pliers collapse the fitting by squeezing it. At that point it will turnout very easy.
John

I have a thread with picture some where floating around on this forum. I'll go find it.

Found it. Wasn't one I started so it was a little harder to find.

clogged-bathroom-sink-pipes-broken-nipple-threads-1383/

Last edited:
Good illustration David. I don't think I was in the trade for more then 4 years when I saw that done for the first time. It has saved my butt many times sense then.

John

Before Mr. David posted that in the thread, I had picked many PVC pipes out of fittings, but had never even tried it on a cast threaded fitting. Last year, we were working on a Habitat for Humanity house, and had a broken copper drain arm in a cast tee. I must admit I felt rather smug once I had it out.

Over on the coast of your state phishfood, replacing copper waste arms is a repair that is very common. Most have solder bushings in taped cast iron tees. And most are in block exterior walls. Some can be very challenging to get at. We carry a 1-1/2 pipe tape to clean up the threads in the tees before installing the PVC males.

John

Finally got everything installed and tested.

The Teflon tape and pipe dope thing worked great. Thankfully the cut did go deeper than the threads.

Thank-you everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Back