Champion brass sprinkler body leaking at the outlet nut

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasadena_commut

Reaction score
I recently replaced the valve in one of these

cl466-100-c.jpg

Now some weeks later it has started to leak at the big nut on the lower left. I don't see any cracks or other damage either in that nut or the brass adapter beneath it, but water is coming out the bottom of that nut and a very small amount at the top. It is a pretty substantial leak, maybe 2 or 3 gallons when that set of sprinklers runs. The other end of the body is screwed into a steel pipe and most likely rusted permanently in place. I did not touch that nut when installing the valve, but I did have to unscrew the cap on the overflow valve. It is possible that put enough torque on that nut to loosen it up somehow. It only started leaking recently, not when the work was done. The other possibility is that the gardeners beat the crap out of it with their weed whacker, in much the same way that they are constantly decapitating the drip irrigation lines going to our roses.

Anyway, is there a washer or other sealer material between the valve body and the bottom brass adapter, underneath that nut? If so, what are the odds it can be replaced given the limited range when the nut is unscrewed and the rusted in place steel pipe on the other side (ie, no way this valve is going to tip even a fraction of a degree.)

Or I suppose I could wrap it super tightly with some sort of rubber tape and hope for the best. My guess is that that isn't going to work well, but at least it might limit the leakage, and the flow is only active 20 minutes a week.

Other than that, the only option would be to tighten the nut. I might try that, but prior experience with nuts like that of great age (it was most likely installed around 1958) is that they tend to split if given half a chance.

Unfortunately the steel inlet pipe is on a manifold with 2 other similar valves, on a galvanized pipe which runs directly to and forks off the main water line to the house. Dug up that junction once and it comes off the top of the main line, which is also galvanized. No separate shutoff valve for this branch. Right under a pretty large bush with big woody roots. So if things go bad, replacing the main line to the house and a lot of digging is likely.

Thanks.

Apparently we had the same problem 4 years ago and it was solved by loosening and retightening that nut.

https://www.plumbingforums.com/threads/leaking-irrigation-valve.12706/
Sorry, I forgot all about it. (Or repressed the memory.)

Anyway, from the picture I can see that the one which was leaking then was not the one which is leaking now. The one from 4 years ago does not leak now, so tightening the nut did fix it. I guess I should try the same thing here, although If this nut cracks it is going to be a major pain to fix it.

Why they planted a rose bush over these valves I will never know.

Leaking out that side is normal. I believe it is an air breaker and draining residual water if you have sprinkler heads higher than the valves.

It isn't leaking out of the backflow valve, which I agree, is normal. It is leaking out of the outlet nut (probably not the correct name) which attaches the valve body to the outlet pipe via a brass adapter.

I tried slowly tightening that nut with a large adjustable wrench while that irrigation branch was active. The flow from beneath the nut decreased to a point and then started to increase again. Turned off that irrigation branch and ran the nut all the way down. There were no obvious defects in the rubber washer between the valve body and the adapter underneath. It was slightly dirty though. So cleaned it off with fresh water and a toothbrush. After it dried inspected it again and still could not see a problem spot. The rubber was still pliable, although probably not nearly so much as when it was new. Tightened the nut by hand as far as it would go (nearly all the way to the top) and then gave it another slight turn until significant resistance was felt. Maybe a quarter turn? Turned on that irrigation branch - and it still leaked, but just a little. Instead of gallons over ten minutes it is now more on the order of cups in the same time period. Since backflow valves frequently leak that much I'm going to live with it for now. Still, the other two identical valve bodies do not leak at all.

Latest posts

Back