Ceiling fan vent question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomottoe

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask:

I am installing a ceiling fan/light in our upstairs bathroom. The fan vents into the attic. I can run the duct to a soffit vent, but the roof line is part of a dormer there, so it is a really shallow angle and working in there will not be fun. Coincidentally, the main vent stack is about five feet from the fan. I can’t (or shouldn’t) vent the fan into the main stack, right?—no matter how much more convenient it will make the install? Thanks,
tom

na, you cant do that, sewer gas would come into the bathroom when fan not on.

making your wife really mad,

get a roof top dryer vent flashing, run your fart fan duct into it

search

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dryer+vent+roof+jack&view=detailv2&&id=86B8909F8C84EA6F469EE9D81FBC1B4DF894BCB1&selectedIndex=0&ccid=tyKPCB2t&simid=607999681467322236&thid=OIP.Mb7228f081dade9a0f9756692d249fc8eH0

Vent stack is not for those kinds of vents. I ran into this issue before where a new home owner couldn't figure out why their bathroom always smelled like crap. Hopped in the attic and sure enough the genius before them tied the duct into a plumbing vent.

Back