Cause of pinhole leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I suppose. I am sure the OP was interested in their pinhole situation though.
I’m sure enough info was given unless he’s writing a book.

If not, I’m here to answer his questions with what I’ve found on jobs.

EDIT:
To answer the post below post number 46.

What did you contribute in post number 40 that you made on page page 2 ?

Self righteous much ?

Last edited:
I’m sure enough info was given unless he’s writing a book.

If not, I’m here to answer his questions with what I’ve found on jobs.
Not to be rude, yes to answer the questions, but not highjack the post. Just my view. I could be wrong.

Hot water copper pipe pinhole leaks: This is a very advanced topic, with a multitude of underlying causes and fixes. I really liked all the info provided above. I want to add some of my long/tedious experience on this topic.
I'm in a small condo building, (Santa Monica) with a common water heater, and a recirculation pump. In recent years we had a lot of pinhole leaks in the hot water copper pipe, mainly at the return loop due to water turbulence at the turns.
  1. It's not a water quality issue, because the neighbor buildings do not have such leaks.
  2. We have L type copper.
  3. We got a new water gas heater and supply lines 2013.
  4. We put the circulation pump on a timer, so it runs only 15 min in each hour.
  5. The only thing we haven't done is de-scaling the water heater. It is possible that the lime inside the tank circulates and causes the corrosion(?) I searched the web and cannot find any info on this cause. It's not likely much lime inside, because it works very efficiently still.
  6. There is nylon tape between the pipes and the hangers on the hot water loop, except 2 spots, which serve individual units.
I have attached our typical pinhole leak pipe photos. Green nodules outside, green oxide inside is ok, but some nodules too.
We recently replaced the return loop pipe where most of the leaks took place due to turbulence. In the past, the circulation pump was set at High and there was no timer, thus it's possible that we're seeing now the cumulative corrosion of 30 years(?)

Attachments

• IMG_9622.JPG
    IMG_9622.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back