caulking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamothe1

Reaction score
when installing a new toilet, should I caulk it around the bottom?

my Son says not to because if I get a leaking wax ring the water will be trapped under the toilet. It seams to me that if I don't caulk I'll get junk under the edge of the toilet where it meets the floor, plus it would look nicer if it's caulked.

my Son says not to because if I get a leaking wax ring the water will be trapped under the toilet. It seams to me that if I don't caulk I'll get junk under the edge of the toilet where it meets the floor, plus it would look nicer if it's caulked.

I don’t subscribe to the “ water being trapped under the toilet by a bad wax seal “ philosophy.

When I set a bowl, it doesn’t leak.

Old men and boys piss over the place. I also mop my floor. I don’t want things going under my toilet to stay.

I have heard of people leaving a small gap without caulking in the rear of the toilet to allow the exchange of air in an attempt to stop condensation.

I believe it is code now in some areas. The leaking thing is mostly a myth I believe and the real concern is if the seal fails gases getting into the home. There are several videos online pro/con.

I will ask people if they tend to wash floor with lots of water, then I will and leave a small gap in the back. If for some reason the flange is to high and I have to shim the toilet I will caulk the gap.

Everytime. If I am not mistaken it is still required by code.

A couple things, first it helps secure your toilet from becoming loose. Second it keeps mop water or missed urine from getting under the toilet and becoming smelly. There are a few good reasoning to make sure it is caulked.

I don’t subscribe to the “ water being trapped under the toilet by a bad wax seal “ philosophy.

When I set a bowl, it doesn’t leak.

Old men and boys piss over the place. I also mop my floor. I don’t want things going under my toilet to stay.
Besides that if it does leak, it leaks the through the floor to the ceiling below. If it is not on a slab of course.

Back