Caulk around bath faucet and escutcheon

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrawfo

Reaction score
Been paying more attention to the plumbing in my home recently. I noticed this and want to address it. There is a gap between the faucet and the tiles. There's also a gap between the handle's escutcheon and the tiles. I know little of plumbing, but it seems to me that there should be no gap, or else water could get into areas that we don't want water, right?
How worried should I be? It has been like this for likely a decade. Probably not much water spraying on this wall typically, except when I clean or rinse the walls. Any action suggestions, other than to just put caulking around both of them? (only top and sides as per suggestion in http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7951)
Thanks,

shower-1.jpg

shower-2.jpg

Caulk the tub spout. Caulk the shower trim if you like but there is a gasket on the back side, so nothing to worry about.

Somehow feel like I should take things apart to look for any damage or moisture behind it, and to dry things out before sealing it. But, likely I wouldn't be able to see much anyway, and wouldn't be able to dry anything without major intrusions. So I'll probably seal it as is. Thanks!

Tub spout just caulk it. You won't see much if you take it off.
Look under the valve plate if you think you have a need. You might even be able to look inside wall with a small inspection mirror.

Back