Cartridge Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moz

Reaction score
Need to replace a shower/bath cartridge. The ones I've replaced before were probably older ones, with just a cartridge going into the pipe, where I could easily grasp it with a wrench to screw it out

This one has a black molded piece around it, and my question is, does that molded piece come off to expose the cartridge? If so, I didn't see any screws holding it on, or do you simply turn it counter clockwise to get it off? I tried to turn it with my hand but it didn't move

Also, anyone recognize what cartridge I'd need?

Thanks for any help, and photos are below

Attachments

• cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (1).jpg
    cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (2).jpg
    cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (3).jpg
    cartridge-IMG_20220331_115012035_HDR (3).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
Hoping if I bump this up someone might see it that knows the answer to my questions

I see sixty of us have looked at your photos and so far nobody has seen that.
You may try to turn the water off, remove the phillips screws and pull the cartridge and take another photo of it.

Is this a new valve install? That looks like a protective cover that gets pulled off after installation. Just guessing at this point.

Thanks for the replies, and the valve install was about six months ago. A contractor crew rehabbed the bathroom for a client of mine. She knew one of them and wanted to give them some work, but after noticing a lot of shoddy work, which I had to fix because they won't return her calls, I can't get an answer to which cartridge they used

Someone did say it was a Smith / Kline cartridge, but had no idea how it was installed

I'll take those screws out and see what the deal is, and report back

Not positive if this is it but look up a Kohler K-GP800881 Pressure Balance Cartridge. That gray piece might
unscrew off of the cartridge. Or easily try pulling it off like havasu suggested.

Back