Capping pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivandragul

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a bi-level home and demo-ed the lower level bathroom that adjacent to furnace and water pressure tank. The water is heated through the furnace. We cut and capped -(flux soder welded) the copper pipes to the sink toilet and the baseboard heater there. The welds are holding with no groaning ,creaking or leaks. All the other sinks and showers and toilets work.

Here's the rub-
My father is worried that when we capped the copper pipes that this could cause damage to our pipes and system causing a pipe explosion somewhere. He thinks we should install temp other piping to redirect the water to relieve pressure like a u shaped elbow and have these all repaired by the time we start using hot water and move-in. We will be replacing these fixtures eventually but if it's capped we should be ok? There's no difference between a capped pipe and a closed faucet- is just back flows, right?

Thoughts?

He's also saying that we should draw up schematics for were all the water goes and what's hot and cold and in what direction the water flows. We need to move in within two weeks and have to work on other parts of the house. I don't have time to be doing this if it's not critical. Is he just being ridiculous?
Thanks
Ivan

Capping off the plumbing fixtures isn't an issue, the baseboard is most likely ran off of a pump somewhere. If the pump is activated and the loop is capped off it could burn up the pump.

On the water line schematics, not a bad idea, you never know when you might need to tie onto a line or try to find a leak. You can always just take pictures of where the pipes run so you have a reference in the future.

Leon

Would that pump get activated only if I turn on the heat? I think the water gets heated through the furnace for general use. I believe we have that valve shut off since we don't actually have oil to heat yet since we just had a new tank put in.

Thanks

I would think so but no way to be for sure, if there is a pump there should be some way to shut the power off to be safe.

Back