Cap on rooftop water heater vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmolina

Reaction score
The gas company turned off gas at a home due to a minor gas leak. We knew that the city inspector would inspect the entire property before the gas could be turned back on, so the plumber checked the whole house and made other repairs in preparation for the city inspection. The property failed the inspection for several reasons, one of which was that there was not a cap on the rooftop water heater vent. Should a licensed plumber have known that this vent cap would be required for a city inspection?

Plumber was hired to fix a previously located and marked gas leak AND to get the house ready to pass the city inspection. I was paying him by the hour rather than for a specific job, so there was no need for him to tell me a cost to put a cap on the water heater vent. He spent 2 days at the house doing various repairs in addition to fixing the gas leak and then ordered the city inspection. After it failed, he told he that he did not know that a vent cap was required.

Plumber was hired to fix a previously located and marked gas leak AND to get the house ready to pass the city inspection. I was paying him by the hour rather than for a specific job, so there was no need for him to tell me a cost to put a cap on the water heater vent. He spent 2 days at the house doing various repairs in addition to fixing the gas leak and then ordered the city inspection. After it failed, he told he that he did not know that a vent cap was required.

A plumber knows damn well, you are required to have a cap on the vent
it is not there to look pretty, it is a safety device to keep birds from nesting and blocking the flue. which would cause the house to fill with carbon monoxide , killing the people in the house

you have to have a gas license to install nat or lp
you have to have a med gas license to install med gas
you have to have a license to install septic systems

here, if you have a plumbers license, you can install it all, I do not need a special/seperate license

of course this depends on state and local laws

Reactions: SHR
Does a plumber(s) license require a separate NG/LPG endorsement/provision... :confused:

* you have to have a gas license to install nat or lp

* you have to have a med gas license to install med gas

* you have to have a license to install septic systems

here, if you have a plumbers license, you can install it all, I do not need a special/seperate license

of course this depends on state and local laws

So if that particular plumber had no license, did not require one or did not require NG specialized training, he may have not actually known the requirement...

It seems to be up to the consumer to double check everything or apply for a permit.

So if that particular plumber had no license, did not require one or did not require NG specialized training, he may have not actually known the requirement...

It seems to be up to the consumer to double check everything or apply for a permit.

if a person calls them self a plumber, but does not know if a vent cap is required on a water heater vent termination. he is NOT a plumber.
that is year 2 apprentice knowledge.

it is my understanding, there areas, states that do not require a plumber to be licensed
this is what you get with untrained "professionals"

Thanks for the answers. This is a rent house that I own. After the plumber installed the chimney cap and prepared the gas lines for a pressure test, we could not get the city inspector out to re-inspect. It was cold, and my renter had been without heat or hot water for 4 days. Somehow, my renter convinced the gas company to turn on the gas in spite of there being a red ticket on the gas meter. Is it unusual for the gas company to turn on the gas if the city inspector has placed a red ticket on the gas meter? What will happen if the city inspector shows up tomorrow?

if a person calls them self a plumber, but does not know if a vent cap is required on a water heater vent termination. he is NOT a plumber.
that is year 2 apprentice knowledge

it is my understanding, there areas, states that do not require a plumber to be licensed
this is what you get with untrained "professionals"

You are correct, but... :confused:

I am trying to figure something out here. If an apprentice works with a contractor that only does new house builds, how will he be exposed to everything he must learn? Are you guys required to take classes say as a machinist apprentice is?

Unless the new guy is exposed to all facets of the trade, he may become licensed but not fully knowledgeable/qualified. Does one have to keep up with new tech as is a medical professional?

THANX! :D

i spent 4 years in a class room setting,[1 nite a week] and worked during the day, and i attend a mandatory continueing ed class each year

at a cost of 100 bucks

a well rounded apprentice needs to learn all 3 phases of residential construction
rough in
top out
trim
he also needs to learn warranty repair and service call work
after these are completed..the next step would be leaving the residential and going to work commercial
to learn that part.
that is a new ball game.

after, 4 years residential and 2 years commercial. he is a well rounded plumber
now the next step
need to spend a year in a mid sized boiler room learning pipe fitting and pipe layout
and a year installing air handlers and piping 2 way and 3 way valves
understanding coil water flow directions and air movement

Last edited:
I have spent 20 years learning my trade and there is still a lot I don't know.

All I know is that you guys need to know a lot. I don't see how an apprentice can see it all before being licensed.

I had my eyes checked a few days ago and the young doctor said she had eight years of college.

around here hvac guys handle chimney liners and the caps, water heaters tie into that run. I honestly dont look for caps because i have never put one on outside of my own house. I guess things are different.

around here hvac guys handle chimney liners and the caps, water heaters tie into that run. I honestly dont look for caps because i have never put one on outside of my own house. I guess things are different.

around here the plumber installs everything to do with his system.
we have found if another trade gets involved, somthing always gets left undone.

we even install closet rods in houses, just because they are pipe and we have pipe. we also install the dryer vents

around here the plumber installs everything to do with his system.
we have found if another trade gets involved, somthing always gets left undone.

we even install closet rods in houses, just because they are pipe and we have pipe. we also install the dryer vents

I see this all the time. Just a couple months ago I got called out to water flowing down a hill side and into the storm drain, they figured a water leak. It had been wet for about 15 years but got worse. Found out the site underground guys ran the pipe and manholes and the plumbers ran their pipe to the slope and stubbed out and neither of them ever connected. It was sewer running this whole time, luckily it was just a couple floor drains in a maintenance room.

Thanks for the answers. This is a rent house that I own. After the plumber installed the chimney cap and prepared the gas lines for a pressure test, we could not get the city inspector out to re-inspect. It was cold, and my renter had been without heat or hot water for 4 days. Somehow, my renter convinced the gas company to turn on the gas in spite of there being a red ticket on the gas meter. Is it unusual for the gas company to turn on the gas if the city inspector has placed a red ticket on the gas meter? What will happen if the city inspector shows up tomorrow?

In addition to preventing animal entry, the cap is designed to promote venting. As a former gas company employee, I saw many failed appliance venting tests due to damaged or missing vent caps.

How could a licensed mechanical or plumber forget the vent cap? I'm a city inspector and that would tick me off right there. That's a stupid mistake. The vent cap type is called out in the manufacturer's installation instructions which is the little white pamphlet that comes with the unit. It's also in the code. I would advise customers to withhold final payment until the final inspection is complete and you have a copy for your records in your hand.
There are some good answers from others on this thread as well.

Back