Can't drain tub, full of water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought I'd make an account and post this here since I can't seem to find any answers or help from a Google search.

I have a standard shower/bath tub combo, however the drain is beyond clogged. I've tried removing the screw to remove the stopper on the drain, but the screw is eroded.

The second problem is that the tub is full of stagnant water for a few months now. There is a thick film of bacterial growth from dead skin cells (I wanted a bath really badly and decided it would be a good idea to hand drain it with a bucket, take a bath, and immediately regret my decision after realizing I had no way to drain the tub again). I'm too embarrassed to call a plumber about this.

How do I drain the tub so I can properly clean it? Can I use a shop vac to drain it?

Thank You!

5 gallon bucket then a cup into the bucket then a shop vac or sponge.

I think you first, Fill the tub with hot water then Run the jets for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce the levels stagnant water. and finally Drain the tub or gallon into bucket.

A professional plumber wont care about what he sees .he might charge more but its no problem

A thick layer of bacterial growth? It better be cleaned before i get on site.

I thought you were a plumber? Plumbers are used to licking their fingers after wiping away bacteria filled growth.:D

Reactions: SHR
I'll jump in septic tanks all day long...I'm no touching bacteria film growth lol

There's more to being a good plumber then getting filthy, or in this case, sick

Back