Can this sink be refinished?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinker

Reaction score
I have this sink that is made of soft ceramic. The area near the drain looks ugly, especially when it is wet.
Can it be refinished?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
No, replace it
Obviously this is the right answer. But I am still looking for an alternative. The whole thing is still very good except for this part.

Has someone tried to apply glaze to ceramic using a propane torch? I am aware of the thermal stress issue etc. But I would prefer a hard crust over paint.

I'm sure it could be reglazed using an industrial kiln, but since sinks can be purchased for $40-$80, or second hand for $15-$20, it just doesn't seem worth it, IMHO.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions.

I am now leaning towards sawing off the damaged sink portion and put in a new sink.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions.

I am now leaning towards sawing off the damaged sink portion and put in a new sink.
Sawing off the damaged part? You mean this is a one piece sink/counter thing?

Yes by all means spend the time and trouble to try and make a bad thing worse. They weren’t very good to begin with hence your trouble…

Or, simply replace it.

Obviously this is the right answer. But I am still looking for an alternative. The whole thing is still very good except for this part.

Has someone tried to apply glaze to ceramic using a propane torch? I am aware of the thermal stress issue etc. But I would prefer a hard crust over paint.
You could make it look more like a bloodshot eye.....

How soft is the ceramic? It may have been degraded if someone used Lime A Way or some other acidic cleaner after a small crack opened, but I would test that on a spot underneath.

If you sand the surface and coat it with epoxy, you could paint it- I bought a sink for a rental unit and decided to paint it white, using Rustoleum's Tub & Tile epoxy. I painted a test area with a cheap brush and I don't think I have ever seen paint flatten so well. If you shop around, you can buy this kit for less than $40- it's supposed to cover 100 ft² and it can be mixed as needed, rather than requiring the whole amount being used.

Once I had a cultured marble sink that looked like your photo. The crazing was in the gel coat. This may help you save the sink:

Using automotive rubbing compound and a polishing/buffing wheel on a Dremel type tool, nearly all of the crazing quickly left. I followed it with automotive polishing compound to get rid of the remaining scratching. Then Soft Scrub cleaner was used to shine it up. It looked factory good to my eyes for several years before the crazing returned.

In retrospect, using an auto polisher instead of the tiny Dremel type tool would have been faster. Also, re-spraying with a clear coat may have been wise.

Paul

Once I had a cultured marble sink that looked like your photo. The crazing was in the gel coat. This may help you save the sink:

Using automotive rubbing compound and a polishing/buffing wheel on a Dremel type tool, nearly all of the crazing quickly left. I followed it with automotive polishing compound to get rid of the remaining scratching. Then Soft Scrub cleaner was used to shine it up. It looked factory good to my eyes for several years before the crazing returned.

In retrospect, using an auto polisher instead of the tiny Dremel type tool would have been faster. Also, re-spraying with a clear coat may have been wise.

Paul
My parents had one of those cultured marble sinks and IIRC, some had problems with crazing, others looked like they were melting (my parents' sink was one of those).

If the OP's sink has actual gel coat and, having worked with it on boats, I think that would be a mistake. It's porous, not very hard and while it's not terribly difficult to polish or repair, it can be chipped pretty easily and if it's mixed too hot or sprayed too heavily, crazing/stress cracking are common.

In any case, epoxy paint made for boats would be a good choice and it can be sprayed or rolled/brushed on, in a procedure called 'roll and tip'. The roller works best on surfaces that are flat or cylindrical rather than bowl-shaped, although a fat foam roller would work.

Yes by all means spend the time and trouble to try and make a bad thing worse. They weren’t very good to begin with hence your trouble…

Or, simply replace it.
A search, with quotes, "Replace the Sink in a Cultured Marble Countertop" shows a project like that.

Last edited:

Paul
My other photo shows the bottom of the sink. I think if I sand off the damaged coat, the exposed surface will look like that. It seems to be very soft and is flaking off.

Or, simply replace it.
A search, with quotes, "Replace the Sink in a Cultured Marble Countertop" shows a project like that.

Of course it does. There’s also plenty of “how to” videos of people painting their cars with a brush or rattle can. My first home’s prior owner worked for the gas company. Had access to all kinds of gas pipe. Most of my homes water piping in the basement was old black gas pipe! It worked…

Just because something can be done doesn’t mean it’s a wise use of your time or money. But if you think a sink mounted in an old cultured marble top is cool go for it.

The local Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore has dozens of good condition sinks, vanities, and one piece cultured marble assemblies so you may want to check yours…

My other photo shows the bottom of the sink. I think if I sand off the damaged coat, the exposed surface will look like that. It seems to be very soft and is flaking off.
Mine looked just like yours, top and bottom. Why the magic compounds worked, I do not know. Perhaps it polished the material under the glaze or it re-melted the glaze. Just guessing.

Back