Can my pump handle the increased pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesT

Reaction score
My house seems to have quite low water pressure its large in size and I was never sure if that was the real reason why we have low water pressure. The shower being my wife's my gripe even with no shower head the shower in our main bathroom was pretty poor in terms of flowing and even with the flow restrictor removed the shower head does did seem to move much water.

My pressure switch is is a 20/40 and it was set to 30/50, today I changed it to 40/68 and I have noticed that the shower is running a little better.

What I am worried about is if my pump can handle the increased PSI, I found that at 70+ the pump did not seem to kick off and ran for a long time hence why I turned it down and ended at 68 PSI.

My pump is at 320ft and the pump rate is 10 GPM with a static water level of 100ft.

Do I need to turn down the pressure ? Can I turn up the pressure or was I right in turning it down a little ?

The well is outside but the pressure tank is inside one strange thing that I don't see is a one way value I was expecting to see some thing that might stop the water running backwards would that help build up the pressure ?

The check valve may be part of the submersible pump. Can't tell you much more than that. I'm no pump expert but there are many on this forum that will answer your questions.

John

Thanks Johnjh20 sorry I don't want to open the can of worms about check values about how many you should have or should not have lets just hope that I have one that is at least working for now, I am new to pumps and wells so I guess I chucked that out there as it was just a uneducated observation.

I still need to increase the pressure in the tank to about 38 psi but wanted to hear a few comments about what I have done so far.

The only check valve you need is the one on the pump. If the check valve was not working, the pump would come right back on after it goes off, even though you are not using any water.

You should have much better pressure at 40/68 than you had at 30/50. But that switch setting doesn't mean anything if the pressure drops and stays really low when running a shower or something. That would mean th epump is not producing as much as it should.

If the pump is cycling on and off while the shower is on, you have plenty of pump and the pressure is just not getting to the shower. In that case I would look for a clogged up filter or a restriction in the pipe somewhere.

Thanks VM I have read your very helpful info about check values on your website

The shower is running much better now at 40/68 but my guess is the pressure tank is still set to 28 psi to be 2 psi under the old cut in setting.

As my pump seemed to run for a while to make it up to 70psi hence the reason to turn it down to 68 if I add air to the tank to bring it up to 38 will it now have a hard time reaching 68 psi ?

Having the correct air pressure in the tank will actually make the tank hold more water. But it shouldn't have anything to do with the pump being able to reach 68 PSI.

I wouldn't leave the pressure switches off setting that close to the pumps maximum pressure capability. If the water level were to drop some, the pump might not be able to turn off at all and that would certainly cause problems. I wouldn't get any closer to it's max than 5 lbs.

Do you have any type of water filtration?

I wouldn't leave the pressure switches off setting that close to the pumps maximum pressure capability. If the water level were to drop some, the pump might not be able to turn off at all and that would certainly cause problems. I wouldn't get any closer to it's max than 5 lbs.

Do you have any type of water filtration?

Hi speedbump, is there a way to tell its max capability , in my fist post I listed my pump info but I don't know what type of pump I have.

In terms of water filtration I have a iron removal tank and then a bio light

The iron filtration reducing the pressure ? Would be my next point to look at but my wife has commented on how much better the pressure now is.

The iron filter will drop the pressure. How much depends on it's actual size and how badly the media is fouled. Try putting it in Bypass and see if the pressure improves.

With a pump at 320 feet and a 100 foot water level, I would be inclined to think you have a low yield well. That is generally the reason for hanging a pump so deep with a high water level.

When you turned the switch up and the pump wouldn't turn off, told you that you had exceeded it's capability. And as the water level drops in the well, that number will decrease even more.

I turned off the power to the pump and then drained my lines I then increased my pressure tank to 38psi to match the new cut in. The pressure gauge I think was at 0 and it took 4min and 28 seconds to get up to 68ps it took 2 minutes to get from about 50 psi to 68 psi. (Would you say that's straining ?)

In terms of pressure my wife is pretty happy where it is now but do you still recommend bringing it down to maybe 65 psi ?

Looking at the well report the the depth of the well is 460ft not sure if any of these numbers help but just trying to make sure you have enough information.

The tanks air pressure should be a couple pounds less than the cut in pressure of the switch.

It's not necessary to DRAIN the lines, just let all the pressure out of the system. Then make your tank adjustments.

I would get the off setting of the switch at least 5 psi less than it's maximum pressure capability.

Remember; if you have a low yield well, as you use water and the pump is running, the water level is going down which means the pump will make less max pressure than it will at a higher level.

Just wrapping this up I hope and this is what I have now

Tank pressure now set to 65 PSI

In terms of a low yield well I was able to pressure wash for about 2 hours the pressure gauge did not drop under about 50 PSI and was able to wash for a very long time. (I wish I could tell how much water I used) but I must have used heaps of water so no sure if I do have a low yield well.

The next day there was a ever so faint sulfur smell in the cold water and I only smelt it when I got up and it was gone the next time I turned on a tap, The only other time I have smelt sulfur was when a toilet ran for about 3 days straight.

That's all to report every thing else is running fine pressure is much better after tweaking the pressure switch.

Back