Can I just the plumbing design under my kitchen sink?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adnoy

Reaction score
My kitchen has VERY little storage and space. I need to maximize any kind of space in my kitchen. I purchased an under-sink garbage system but turns out, i can't fit the garbage can under the sink because the sink pipe gets in the way.

I know NOTHING about plumbing and just wanted to get a feel of whether changing the design of the pipe is even feasible? I have a double sink (two pipes that merge into one pipe which then leads into the back wall of my cabinet. Either side of the pipes which lead from each sink drain comes out too far to the side for me to fit the garbage can on either side.

Is it feasible to change the arrangement of the pipping to give me more space on either side? Of course if it is possible, i will be getting a plumber to do this, I just don't want to pay for a plumber to come in just to tell me that this is impossible?

I have attached a very crude diagram of my ink arrangement. The grey is the sink, the black is the plumbing which connects into the back wall (depicted by a slanted line, not actually slanted). The blue is where i want to put the garbage can but as evidenced in the picture, it hits the plumbing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you can give me.

Sink.png

depends, it can be done, but can it be done in your situation.

do you have a disposal ? if you do, your screwed, use the trash can to store stuff in..lol

if you do not have a disposal. AND the drain outlet at wall, will allow.

but, all this is going to gain you very little room.

the real estate under a sink, belongs to the pipes,

318799.image0.jpg

My kitchen has VERY little storage and space. I need to maximize any kind of space in my kitchen. I purchased an under-sink garbage system but turns out, i can't fit the garbage can under the sink because the sink pipe gets in the way.

I know NOTHING about plumbing and just wanted to get a feel of whether changing the design of the pipe is even feasible? I have a double sink (two pipes that merge into one pipe which then leads into the back wall of my cabinet. Either side of the pipes which lead from each sink drain comes out too far to the side for me to fit the garbage can on either side.

Is it feasible to change the arrangement of the pipping to give me more space on either side? Of course if it is possible, i will be getting a plumber to do this, I just don't want to pay for a plumber to come in just to tell me that this is impossible?

I have attached a very crude diagram of my ink arrangement. The grey is the sink, the black is the plumbing which connects into the back wall (depicted by a slanted line, not actually slanted). The blue is where i want to put the garbage can but as evidenced in the picture, it hits the plumbing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you can give me.

It can be done but you will need a lot of patience. You would have to pick the GD size that will give you the room needed/wanted in the sink cabinet and use offsets to move the drainage to the rear of the cabinet.

The attached will give you (hopefully) a basic idea. Try to have only one P-Trap. If you have to S-Trap it, an AAV install may save you.

Note- Too many bends may cause blockage(s) on occasion.

Kitchen Sink DWV (Two Trap Arms-Two 45° Bends To Reduce Drop Noise Shown.jpg

AAV Install _7.jpg

I'd just like to point out that if you happen to be in Louisiana, then the AAV is not allowed, but I think most states allow it.

Can you get a photo of what it looks like under your sink? That might help create a more accurate visual.

I'd just like to point out that if you happen to be in Louisiana, then the AAV is not allowed, but I think most states allow it.

Can you get a photo of what it looks like under your sink? That might help create a more accurate visual.

THANX For That Clarification! :D

The photo would help along with the inside dimensions of the sink cabinet.

Also, the drainage behind the wall can be moved/modified to accomplish something like this.

Under Sink Cabinet Shelving _1.jpg

Under Sink Cabinet Shelving _2.jpg

I think you can get baskets of various sizes from the Dollar Tree for only $1.

But back on topic, knowing the dimensions of the cabinet as well as the size of the trash can would be helpful.

Sometimes people can attach the trash can to the door.
51vGBuU-wmL._SX300_.jpg

I wonder if Adnoy is going to come back. I'd like to hear how this turns out.

I think you can get baskets of various sizes from the Dollar Tree for only $1.

But back on topic, knowing the dimensions of the cabinet as well as the size of the trash can would be helpful.

Sometimes people can attach the trash can to the door.
51vGBuU-wmL._SX300_.jpg

I plumbed some apartments, they had those little trash cans like the ones in this picture in your post.
but no one knew it but us. on the first cabinet ,when the plumber tried to close he door after installing the pipes, the door would not close.
not to be deterred, the plumber simply removed the trash can,
dumped his tools in it, and went to the next sinkl
by the next day, all the plumbers had new tool buckets
all the doors closed.

will the OP come back and tell us anything ? doubt it

LOL! Yeah, its always important to take the plumbing and fixtures into consideration when trying to fit trash cans and other stuff on the doors or under the sink.

I don't like to have wasted space, so I like those little fold down things that look like drawers and have cubbies to hold stuff just under the sink where a drawer wouldn't be able to fit.

LOL! Yeah, its always important to take the plumbing and fixtures into consideration when trying to fit trash cans and other stuff on the doors or under the sink.

I don't like to have wasted space, so I like those little fold down things that look like drawers and have cubbies to hold stuff just under the sink where a drawer wouldn't be able to fit.

Morning Ms. Z! :D

I hate clutter. I like having the trash can under the sink (out of sight) as it will be a smaller capacity container as one on the floor and hopefully be emptied more frequently to prevent certain phantom smells in the kitchen (it is common practice here to keep compressing the trash so as not have to empty it).

I use the GD only to clean/rinse the sink not to grind endless amounts of food waste.

I like having the sink cabinet in a military fashion. Am I CDO (SHOWN IN CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER)?

YOU BETCHA! :cool:

Kultulz, my house would probably give you nightmares. It is full of clutter and is a complete disaster. Ever watch the show Hoarders? I put a dent in the mess in the kitchen today at least, but I'm still not happy with it. I have a lot of work to do.

LOL. Oh yeah, there is a lot of compressing of trash. My brother had the bag so packed that it ripped when he tried to take it out of the can so he just left it in and piled garbage next to it until I finally got fed up and put a bag over the top and turned it upsidedown to dump it out-- needed my brother's help for it though. Made him carry the heavy bag out-- which he's supposed to do anyway.

And now I have to go since Mom needs me for something.

Back