Can I just entirely remove the flow restrictor?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathvalleydog

Reaction score
Can I just entirely remove the flow restrictor on the cold water intake filter of my Navien 240E Combi Boiler? It's got the least the restrictive one (orange) but the hot water still has noticeably less pressure than the cold. Our water pressure coming out of the cold is just over 35 psi, which is fine. I'd like the hot to be as close to that as possible.

So ... what will happen if I just take it out the restrictor?
Will my boiler malfunction?
Will it explode?
Will Western Civilization collapse?

What? :oops:

Last edited:
I wouldn’t do that. That’s a filter.

Get a booster pump system and up your pressure.

I wouldn’t do that. That’s a filter.

Get a booster pump system and up your pressure.
Not the filter, just the little restrictor part that fits in the end of it. The water would still have to flow through the filter.

We're on a 100% gravity-fed water system. A booster pump isn't an option.

Not the filter, just the little restrictor part that fits in the end of it. The water would still have to flow through the filter.

I have no idea then, I have no experience dealing with anything other than fantastic pressure. Good luck 👍

What is the GPM at temp rise. It doesn't matter what you remove if it can only flow say 1.6 gallons at 60° temp rise. I am just using those numbers as examples. It cant just flow through at max volume if it isn't heating the water.

I have no boiler experience nor training.
I can call tech desk for any brand and trouble shoot well when they are on the line ;) What CT18 states applies…
Navien might answer your question.

There surely are tank and pressure systems that can give constant pressure…again, nothing I have specialty knowledge about.

The water heating side will work fine without a flow restrictor.

It’s the heat portion that I have no idea about. I live in a sub tropical climate.

I thought the North Kalifornia Kid @breplum would know about the hydronics.

Last edited:

My neighbor and i are on a gravity system too. He has low pressure and installed a booster pump to get the pressure through the heater up to par. It will work...

Back