Can I install a water softener in a crawl space?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mania64

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum so I appologize if this question has been asked. I want to install a water softener in my house. I currently have a Rhinnai tankless water heater located in the crawl space. The softener I am looking at is a Whirlpool WHES42 or WHES48. This is the "all in one" type unit meaning the salt tank and softener are in the same unit. I have plenty of clearance under the house to fit the unit but, my question is: Do I have to worry about it freezing in the winter? I know this sounds like a silly question but the water lines never freeze so does the same aplly to the appliances. I live in the south so it doesn't get very cold. Usually never lower than the teens and not for many days at that. Do I need to insulate this unit or not worry about it?

Thanks

The pipes feeding the softener are more apt to freeze than the unit itself because of their physical size.

If you want a good unit, stay away from the big box stores. Names to look for: Autotrol, Fleck and Clack. These are the heads that do all the work and are good quality. Most of the others aren't.

Is the crawl space the last resort. I would certian avoid any cabinet type model. How do you plan to keep putting salt in it? What kind of height clearance do you have? How many people are using water?

What is yur water quality test results? These are just some of the question you need to be asked before recommendations can be made.

Andy Christensen

When I bought my house back in 2009, we discovered during an installation of an Instant Hot water system that we have a Water Softener in our crawl space (it has been disconnected and everything), but when I contacted the previous owner, they were aware of it and said it worked out great, but didnt add the salt in since they had since relocated to a new house and had winterized all the plumbing and such. So it is possible. I just need to do the maintenance on it before hooking it all back up and adding the Salt to the tank.

Is it safe to install water filtraton unit in crawel space of doublewide in NE TN

Last edited:
If you can keep it from freezing and you can get to the brine tank comfortably to add salt. But for my money, I would much rather have it in a 7 foot tall heated room.

Hello
I see that you have a water softner in crawlspace Im also looking at similar situation but I have to install one. Question is where does your water drain ? Not sure but having water drain into crawlspace be a good idea ? Knowing moisture causes mold and insects.

Latest posts

Back