can I get a wood boiler working on city water psi

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travbus

Reaction score
My wood boiler is psi tested at 30 psi the relief is 30 psi. My city water psi is 45 to 55 ish. Will I get flow if I put a psi reducing valve on inlet of boiler. set to 12 psi ish. On outlet put a check valve then my circulation pump. Will it build up psi and move water through the boiler?

I just don't want to buy a expansion tank, heat exchanger, another pump etc. I"m trying to keep it a cheap setup.

Thanks,
Trav

You must use a pressure reducing on the boiler. You must also use a expansion tank. Without an expansion tank when the water is heated the pressure will climb way beyond the 30 lb boiler maximum. Which is very dangerous.

Ya that makes sense. Do you think the pump would be able to create enough pressure sucking from the 12 psi boiler to my 50 psi hot water tank? It does 2.2 gal per min 1/2 inch line. I can modify to 3/4 inch line. 1/2 inch is already in place though. The wood boiler is 130000 btu I don't no what the min btu's are when the air intake is choked off though.

Thanks for the info

A circulator doesn't create suction. All that is required for circulation is a very slight difference in pressure between the feed and return side of the system. Are you talking about a boiler or a hot water heater? A boiler is used to heat a home a water heater is used to heat domestic hot water.

Ok that is what I wanted to know. So it wouldn't work then. The boiler will be heating my house. I ordered a heat exchanger for my domestic hot water. The plan is to run from my garage to the house through the heat exchanger then through the coil in the furnace I might put a fan coil in the garage if the radiant heat from the wood boiler isn't enough to heat that space.

Thanks for the help I mostly work on refrigeration and am finding hyrdonics to be quite fascinating.

Back