Can I do this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tal10000

Reaction score
(Complete Novice)Is there anything wrong with installing stop valves above where the air chamber begin (kitchen faucet)? The air chambers are shaped like an L that begin just 2 inches above the floor of the cabinet. Can I just cut the pipe half way up and install the stop valve and supply lines from there?

By air chamber I assume you mean to prevent hammer? Under the kitchen sink is a really odd place to see those, most faucets don't provide enough pressure to cause hammer (usually the worst culprits are large appliances and older shower systems) and I don't think I have ever seen a kitchen where the copper lines are close enough to a wall to hammer at all, usually they are out closer to where the faucet supplies drop from the counter top.

So I guess I am saying go ahead and put your shutoff valves wherever you want.

If it becomes a problem you can install a mechanical anti-hammer valve later on (they are pretty cheap).

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I don't have a pic handy. A new camera is on my Christmas wish list. The "air chamber" is installed via a tee, beginning about 2 inches from the base of the cabinet, and is about 18 inches in height. I just realized that there is no way to even cut the pipe with a regular pipe cutter as the "air chamber" would block the pipe cutter. I guess I will have to cut above regardless! I suppose I could cut below and remove the "air chamber", however I would rather have the shut off valves a bit higher so they won't be constantly knocked around by all the cleaning supplies in the cabinet.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I don't have a pic handy. A new camera is on my Christmas wish list. The "air chamber" is installed via a tee, beginning about 2 inches from the base of the cabinet, and is about 18 inches in height. I just realized that there is no way to even cut the pipe with a regular pipe cutter as the "air chamber" would block the pipe cutter. I guess I will have to cut above regardless! I suppose I could cut below and remove the "air chamber", however I would rather have the shut off valves a bit higher so they won't be constantly knocked around by all the cleaning supplies in the cabinet.

If you have home made chambers under your sink, just cut into them and install the valve (the home made chambers are just about useless anyway).

Back