Buying House - advice needed on full rewire

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themavinator

Reaction score
Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice, I have had a survey done on a property I want to buy, and the Surveyor has advised that even though all the sockets and lighting work perfectly, I should get an electrical inspection done as the electrics look old and dated. From the picture I've included what are peoples opinions, are the electrics that bad ?
Buying House - advice needed on full rewire IMGP1228.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Anyway, moving on. I'm reluctant to pay £250ish for a PIR or ECIR inspection as I get the feeling any electrical inspection will just state a full rewire is recommended due to the dated electrics in the property, so I'd rather bite the bullet and put that amount towards the cost of getting the whole house rewired for my own peace of mind.

My problem is, as there is a detached garage on the property with electricity, if I opt for a full rewire does it mean I automatically have to update the electrics in the Garage as well in order to comply with any regulations, as Ideally I would prefer to leave the garage well alone to save a bit of money. If anybody knows the answer that would be great.

Uh Oh. British Electric. The old school mechanics, especially motorcycle mehanics in USA call them the "prince of darkness".
Sorry, bad joke about British electric for 6volt in vehicles and motorycles. Has nothing to do with homes. I think for home electric, America is the weird one all beacause of the choice in how to do electric for homes starting in Chicago if I remember correctly.

>>Uh Oh. British Electric. The old school mechanics, especially motorcycle mehanics in USA call them the "prince of darkness".

I thought that LUCAS, the electrics that Jaguar used in 50's-60's was the "Prince of Darkness"
Shrug, I may be wrong.
This one I'm sure of:
If you buy a Jaguar you will be forced to adopt a Mechanic.

>>Uh Oh. British Electric. The old school mechanics, especially motorcycle mehanics in USA call them the "prince of darkness".

I thought that LUCAS, the electrics that Jaguar used in 50's-60's was the "Prince of Darkness"
Shrug, I may be wrong.
This one I'm sure of:
If you buy a Jaguar you will be forced to adopt a Mechanic.
You are correct I believe. Lucas Electric earned prince of darkness because so many british motorcycles were exporting at those times. Good point. But wasn't 6volt electric on the british bikes the same as many of their cars? We only know of the crappy 6volt electric british bikes because many more bikes were imported, less cars with the same crappy 6volt systems is my understanding.

Latest posts

Back