Burst Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrage

Reaction score
Hi - I'm going to try to do my best to give as much info as possible, without writing a story here.

I have the opportunity to buy a house for $8,000 as is. Real estate is cheap in the area, so the house is worth $25,000 on a good day.

Seller has let me tinker around in the house before actually buying. So far I've found some burst heating pipes that aren't much of an issue (i'm comfortable fixing copper), and I already fixed them with ease.

Domestic water comes up to first floor without an issue. Kitchen / dishwasher get water. Only other room with water is upstairs bathroom. Was confused why water wouldn't come on up there until I found 2 valves in one of the kitchen cabinets.

I turned the valves on and "SHOOSH" water starts pouring down from kitchen ceiling.

A few facts:

1. A 'hatch' is already cut out of kitchen ceiling. When I pull it back, I can see the bottom of the tub and (what looks like) all pipes going to bathroom from said valves. I couldn't quickly identify where the leak was coming from.

2. I don't have a problem cutting out pieces of copper pipe and either sweating (or sharkbiting if need be) new sections.

3. House was built circa 1900. All the pipes i could *see* were 1/2" copper.

4. When I turned the valve on, it wouldn't turn back off. I had to shut off the water at the meter.

Questions:

1. What is the worst case scenerio here? Is there anything that a DIYer couldn't do? And if so, What would be the worst case cost? Again, its water service going to one bathroom.

2. Why won't the valve turn back off? Is it common for valves to break immediately after opening?

I'm trying to figure out if I can do this myself, and if not, if it will likely cost more than $1500 done professionally. I am in NE PA.

Thanks everyone!

Jim

trash in the valve or a broke stem.

if your comfortable running copper,

cut the valve out and replace it

only way i can tell if a pipe is leaking is to turn the water on and look up in the ceiling
have your buddy, man the meter, yell out the window "turn it on" then yell "turn it off" when you see the leak

thanks for the response.

i was thinking, in a worst case scenario, lets assume everything is toast north of that valve (which it isn't). How hard could it be to just replace the valve, and run copper or PEX to the sink, toilet, and bath. Am i oversimplifying things? I'm a little new to plumbing, but not afraid to try new things. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something that could be a hidden 10k expense or something like that...

also, i thought i saw a much wider copper pipe up there in the ceiling (and inch or greater). what could that be? drain?

Thanks again,

J

Back