Building a Tiny Half Bathroom in Garage using a macerating toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnumpl

Reaction score
Hi,
I am located in Florida (Pasco county).I have a home improvement project that I could use some advice on. I'm planning to build a small powder room in my garage, utilizing the space where an old shower used to be. I've already removed the shower, and now I'm trying to figure out the best and most budget-friendly way to install a toilet in this area.

One thing I'm aware of is that the shower drain pipe is too small for a toilet. The diameter of the showers drain pipe is 2". Theres a p-trap (which I will remove), then it's most likely connected to a vent pipe for a washing machine. I don't know exactly how it's connected since it's buried in the concrete slab and inside concrete wall.

I fished a sewer camera through a cleanout (on the other side of the house) and a 3" pipe only goes a few feet into the bathrooms, then it's all 2" through the house and into the garage. So adding a 3" pipe for the toilet is not an option unless I demolish the whole floor through the house, or run it outside removing my driveway and going far out to the other side of the house.

While the toilet would only be used occasionally, I want to make sure I avoid any potential issues down the line and be able to get a permit for that. I've been considering two options: a macerator pump or a toilet with a built-in macerator pump.

The macerator toilet that I am looking at is a Saniflo SaniCompact which is self contained and does not require a vent. Now I am not sure if the codes allow a the washing machines vent to be used and not adding a separate vent for the toilet, even if it doesn't require it.

I would also add a sink that would connect directly to the macerator, might add a tudor vent under the sink, just in case.

Would it be up to code? Can I skip the vent for this type of toiler?

Unfortunately I can't get any information from the local building department, despite asking numerous times. I'd really appreciate any insights or recommendations you all might have. If you've tackled a similar project or have experience with these types of installations, your input would be invaluable to me. Thank you in advance for your help!

TLDR: Adding a tiny bathroom to my garage using an old showers 2" drain. That drain is using washing machines bent pipe. I would install a macerator toilet. Does a ventless/self-contained Saniflo SaniCompact macerator toilet require a separate vent pipe, even though it's not required per manufacturer?

i would never install one of those systems and toilet in my house . if i really need another bathroom i would install a sanitary sump pit with grinder pump like this
https://www.zoellerpumps.com/products/package-systems/and then install what ever i wanted .
I used one of those toilets Saniflo once , it ran for 10 minutes after i flushed the toilet .
was not impressed

i would never install one of those systems and toilet in my house . if i really need another bathroom i would install a sanitary sump pit with grinder pump like this
https://www.zoellerpumps.com/products/package-systems/and then install what ever i wanted .
I used one of those toilets Saniflo once , it ran for 10 minutes after i flushed the toilet .
was not impressed

I reluctantly installed one for a customer at a summer cottage and it worked for 6 years no problem until a maid broke a toilet brush off in and flushed it. Jammed the macerator up.

I unjammed it and it’s been working since last summer.

So it’s close to 8 yrs old.

It only runs for about 4 seconds after a flush.

was not impressed
Thank you for your comment.
It crossed my mind to install a sump pit, however it would require more permits since I would have to drill through the a concrete wall. It would be more work too. And I am concerned about the smell.
Would it require a separate vent?
Can I run it from the slab going up against the interior wall, then throgh the wall to the exterior, and then down to the sump?

Or just go with the macerator toilet?

Back