Broken Shower Valve Stop (Delta Universal Rough-in w/ Stops)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danreardon

Reaction score
I just finished tiling the shower and was ready to turn on the water and finish the trim installation and the left (hot water) side of the valve stop broke off while I was loosening it with a flat head. I can't get a anything in there to unscrew the bolt (which I already sort of mangled as you can see in the picture). Any suggestions?

double.jpegfull.jpeg

You need a socket and extension. Maybe a flex head socket. You’ll have to trim some tile but the escutcheon plate will cover it.

If a socket won’t grip because the nut is stripped you’ll need to get a stripped bolt remover that’ll grab onto it.

You’ll need the replacement parts, obviously.

Thank you very much @Twowaxhack. I did remove the black plastic guard, but you're right, I still might need to dig into a bit of the tile to get the socket there. You're also right, the amount that I'd have to damage the tile should be covered by the escutcheon plate. Thanks again.

@Twowaxhack, great recommendations...I was hoping you could gut check my next step. I removed the plastic black guard and have enough room for a socket without cutting away too much tile (I could definitely cut away more); however, the bolt is too stipped and not deep enough to get a solid hold... even for a bolt remover set (I tried Irwin's from Lowes).

That said, I was thinking of maybe switching to another approach...drill out the middle and then use a screw type extrator which will hopefully be able to grab the middle to unscrew it. If that doesn't work...and I hate this idea...I might have to open up the wall again and just replace the whole rough-in.

unnamed.jpg

Have you called delta, the brass around the screwdriver stop may just hold the stop in
There is a shower valve I work with that we change the stops when they fail and there is a collar around the stop, it's only function is to hold the stop in

Have you called delta, the brass around the screwdriver stop may just hold the stop in
There is a shower valve I work with that we change the stops when they fail and there is a collar around the stop, it's only function is to hold the stop in
Hello @Geofd, I haven't called Delta yet; however, I don't think there is anything they'll be able to do. You're right, it's just a collar to hold the stop in, but I'm at the stage of construction where I need to open up the stop and I broke the unscrewability of the stop itself. I have replacement stops and collars, but the problem is that I can't unscrew it to let water flow.

IS the collar also not coming out?????the collar has to come out 1st
Yes, the collar won’t come out because it is too rounded and the stop can’t be loosened because one of the tongs broke for the side of the flatheads.

The cold side is fine, I just botched the hot side.

I just looked at your cold side I saw that it has flat sides, how about those sockets that you use on rounded off nuts might be worth a try,this also may sound weird but could you super glue a socket that's close on to the collar there's another option but it's a last option you could cut a groove into the collar and tap it counter clockwise with a small chisel, that's how I've loosened stuck brass cleanouts

Last edited:
I just looked at your cold side I saw that it has flat sides, how about those sockets that you use on rounded off nuts might be worth a try
Thanks for the quick replies @Geofd…that was my first post that you replied to. I bought those, the Irwin ones, and it can’t get enough grip to turn. I bought the set hoping that would work, but no luck.

Use a dremel and cut a little of the brass nut away so you can grab what’s left of the screwdriver slot and open the valve.

Once the valve is open the nut might back out with a chisel like Geoff suggested.

Thanks @Geofd and @Twowaxhack, the dremel approach is a great idea. I'm travelling for work for a couple of days, so I won't get a chance to try again until later in the week, but I appreciate the input. Thank you both!

Back