Broken PVC Toilet Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During a remodel of my bathroom I found that the PVC flange for my toilet connecting to a 3" closet bend was broken. It seems to be an outter (female) flange but I can't tell where the stack pipe and the flange are connected (Picture 1).

I am trying to remove the flange but it is cemented to the stack pipe and I don't want to cause any damage to any pipes. I removed the edges of the flange to see if I can chip away at it, but no luck (Picture 2).

Any advice on how to effectively remove a flange like this?

1.jpg

2.jpg

To me it looks like the flange was glued into the 90°. You could make vertical cuts in it and chisel it out with a screwdriver. Some of the guys that do service may have a trick for you.

When you say to make vertical cuts, do you mean to the outside of the flange? Seems like I'd had to remove some or all of the sub-floor to do that.

Straight down on the inside of the flange, only cutting through the flange not the fitting it is glued into. So it would be cut into 2" or 3" strips and then you pry it out. I have heard some people use a heat gun when its time to pry.

Is it glued inside the 90°, thats what it looks like to me.

Inside pipe cutter

use this to trim the top of the flange even with the hub that it is glued into.
This will expose the glue joint between the 2 fitiings
Then make 2 vertical cut in the inside of what is left of the flange fitting that is glued into the fitting. Do Not cut into the outer hub.

use a couple of small flat bladed standard screw drivers like a chisel to split the glue joint.

2.jpg

remove.jpg

@ Mr_David I appreciate you taking the time to send me those graphics.

Luckily I bought that same cutter a few days ago from HD and will try your method as outlined.

Will post an update soon!

After a couple hours of work and 6 beers later I was finally able to remove the old flange.

I used the inside PVC cutter to cut away at the top of the flange to expose the edge between the flange and hub. Then I used a heat gun to loosen the inner part of the flange and basically peel it off.

I will say this was the easiest method for me to use since it looks like chipping it off with a screwdriver or chisel could have damaged the hub or closet bend. But I would make sure if anyone uses a heat gun that they be careful to not deform the hub, otherwise your new flange wont fit correctly.

Thanks to Mr_David and CT-18 for their advice!

Pipe cut1.jpg

Pipe cut2.jpg

Thank you! I know replacing broken flanges is a common problem so hopefully this thread will be a good guide for others.

Back