Briggs Hathaway Vacuity toilet poor performance

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattm

Reaction score
My Briggs Hathaway Vacuity toilet has to be plunged about 2 to 3 times per week. It's a low flow 1.6 gpf with some special extra vacuum boost to help it flush. Doesn't work so well. To plunge, you have to remove the tank cover, push down on a special vacuum tank that covers an air inlet tube that leads to the down pipe in the toilet, and use other hand to do the actual plunging. I'm very frustrated with this toilet.

I'm already expecting the typical, "you need poop less" or "use less toilet paper" answers- ha ha. Now, does anyone know a modification or anything to increase the gpf, etc.? My previous toilet had no problems- it wasn't a low flow either.

Thanks!

Depends what model of Vacuity you have, this is a product line designation and there are a few different models. The worst rated model of this line has a MaP score of 320 which is pathetic. Even the best of the line is only 700, which isn't all that hot. I personally would never buy a toilet with less than a 1000 MaP score.

This isn't really a matter of not enough gpf, this is an example of a toilet that wasn't really designed that well.

I have also read reports of consistent manufacturing flaws with this toilet. Nothing major, but slight slumping in the trapway leads to a minor buildup of paper. Unfortunately, the vacuum design of the toilet requires a fully clear trapway to work properly.

I know Consumer Reports gave the Vacuity a very good rating a few years ago, but there is a reason most big box retailers have pulled it from their selection. It is a high maintenance toilet that frankly requires more work and knowledge than the average consumer wants to (or can) put into something they **** in.

Ok- thanks SlowDrip. This confirms my feeling that I think I just want to replace the whole unit. A while back, I tried taking out the large thermo-formed plastic vacuum tank thingy located inside the main tank, and tried just placing a smaller plastic bottle over the vacuum tube. I thought maybe that would create more volume in the main tank for more water storage, and then more water would be available for each flush. Didn't work at all- made it worse, actually.

Back