Brass or SS swivel fitting (NPS)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olpea

Reaction score
Hi,

Would anyone happen to know where I could buy a 1" nps brass (or stainless) female swivel connector X 3/4" hose barb. The swivel connector has a flat sealing surface which seals with a flat gasket and is held to a nps male fitting, which also has a flat sealing surface. The two are connected with a nps nut. The nut is what I'm calling the female swivel connector.

Really, I just need the nut (it's stripped) but I doubt someone would sell just the nut.

I took this off my sprayer. It has to be brass or stainless because of corrosive chemicals.

I have a few pics of the two fittings. I only need the one on the right. There is a flat gasket (not shown) which fits in between the two fittings.

I've looked on the internet for some time, but can't seem to find anything like this. Anyone have any ideas? I can't use a union because there isn't enough room. I need the fitting to swivel so I can easily attach and remove the hose.

20151207_225027.jpg

20151207_225032.jpg

20151207_225105.jpg

Thank you Mr. Frodo.

I had hoped to be able to find the fitting, or ideally just the nut, to make it an easy fix. I had assumed there was a fitting like it somewhere, but I just wasn't finding it. Since I can't find the fitting, let me contribute what I have learned in the process. Perhaps it will benefit someone on the forum.

Basically what I've come to conclude is that flat faced gasket seal fittings are pretty old technology (the fittings is about 50 years old). I think gasket seal fittings have pretty much been supplanted by O-ring seal, for flat faced fittings.

The problem is O-ring seal fittings have different actual sizes for the various nominal sizes, so that a one inch nut from an O-ring seal fitting is actually a different size than an one inch nut from a gasket fitting. Parker still makes a few gasket fittings but they are smaller than I need.

The nut that I needed looks a lot like a nut off a pipe union. I called a plumbing supply and asked the guy if he had a brass 3/8" union (which as far as I could tell had the same size nut I needed). He told me the union nuts are all kinds of different threads, since the union is intended to be sold as one piece. That is, there is no reason for the union nuts to follow any standard thread because they are always sold as a unit - the actual thread which screws on the pipe is all that is standard.

I used to work in a machine shop and that didn't sound right to me. It's possible to put any thread pitch/count you want on a part, but most of the time some type of standard thread is used for mass production. This is because it's cheaper to use/buy some type of standard size taps and dies (although it's not necessary to use a tap or die to cut threads, it's faster in production machining). That's not saying different manufacturers could use a different thread (because there are so many "standard" threads to choose from - NPS, BSP, ISO, etc.) but chances are if the manufacturers are making parts using standard NPT for the part which fits on the pipe, they are probably going to use the standard American straight pipe thread (NPS) for the nut.

Anyway, I went to a HD and looked at some unions. Sure enough the nut size was the same for a 3/8" union, and the nut would turn on the male part for a few turns, but then stop. It turns out the union does use a standard straight pipe thread (NPS - 11.5 threads/inch) but my part is not an NPS thread (I thought it was). My part uses the same threads used on JIC (37 degree), flareless compression fittings (w/ a ferrule), and ORB fittings, which all have a thread count of 12 tpi.

It makes it even more difficult to find the part because I need the fitting in either brass or SS. Galvanized fittings are the norm for most industries.

In the end, I have decided to just replace the hose w/ some JIC fittings. I have some brass female JIC X hose barb on hand and just need to get some male fittings as the mates.

Latest posts

Back