"Bottoming out" PVC pipe inside fittings.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTM5

Reaction score
I connected a 1.5 inch PVC pipe to a bathtub drain. The fitting can accept about 3/4 inch of PVC, but I could only insert the PVC about 1/2 inch. I primed and cement both the fitting and the pipe according to instructions and pushed the pipe inside as hard as I could, giving it a quarter turn.

Is my connection good enough? There is a 1/4 inch ridge on the inside that I am worried might trap hair or debris that goes down the tub drain.
I attached a picture of the inside of the pipe so you can see the connection on the inside. I also show a photo of the outside of the pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Did you try to dry fit it first? That's a good idea. The way it is will probably be fine, but in the future on something else it might be a problem.

Did you try to dry fit it first? That's a good idea. The way it is will probably be fine, but in the future on something else it might be a problem.

I think I remember reading on the forum, that a full insertion, dry fit can misshape the bottom of the hub or pvc pipe and be the possible source of a leak.

If you did not hold the pipe firmly in the fitting for about 5-10 seconds, the glue can push the pipe out a bit before it sets.

This post is happening on two different threads, which makes it hard to track the conversation.

Is there some way to combine two threads by the same poster on the same subject?

Back