bottom of water heater is rusty and leaking water, replace?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
hello, the bottom of my water heater has rust spots on it and there was dried water around it plus some of the items stored next to it had water damage but are now dry,
does this for sure need to be replaced?

thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20221114_160926.jpg
    IMG_20221114_160926.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
We usually want to have a WH safety pan run to the outside unless there is a floor drain close by.

hello, the bottom of my water heater has rust spots on it and there was dried water around it plus some of the items stored next to it had water damage but are now dry,
does this for sure need to be replaced?

thank you!
How old is it? If it’s external water figure out where it’s coming from (seasonal, rain, leaks) but shouldn’t need to be replaced. If it’s 10 or more years old and the water’s coming from the heater then replace it soon!

It’s common for water heaters to sweat this time year in my area.

Old water heaters sweat also, not just the new ones.

It could be leaking or it could be condensation.

How old is it ?
there's a sticker on it with two dates but I can't read the text, are you able to tell how old it is? it's at least 11 years old because it was here when I moved in 11 years ago, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_111942.jpg
    IMG_20221115_111942.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
It’s common for water heaters to sweat this time year in my area.
I think you are in FL? So the outer shell cools off at night and causes condensation when the morning (humid) air hits it? Seems like a heater wouldn't be cooler than the air, but FL, right?

I think you are in FL? So the outer shell cools off at night and causes condensation when the morning (humid) air hits it? Seems like a heater wouldn't be cooler than the air, but FL, right?
Read up on electric water heater condensation. You could read about gas water heater condensation also.

Hot tank with hot water. Customer draws a lot of hot water and the incoming cold water cools the tank off and then you heat that cold water.

This is why you want to size a water heater correctly. Undersized water heaters sweat more in general. The outside of the tank isn’t protected against corrosion.

So the tank can rust out from the outside in.

Gas heater can condensate the same way. Burning natural gas creates water vapor also. You can hear the condensation dripping onto the burner and sizzling when you fire them up cold.

In some instances it can actually extinguish the pilot…..

Last edited:
It looks like thats a 26 year old tank. I think its time for a new one. Its done its job.
I would’ve said the same thing at 15 yrs old.

I often make the decision based off where the water heater is installed, what damage can it do when it leaks, how much inconvenience it will be to have no hot water.

I have a water heater installed in a shed and I’m going to let it go until it fails and waters running out the door.

26 yrs is well past due…….

Back