Body Sprays Week.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young99

Reaction score
I recently remodeled our master bathroom to include a 10" showerhead and 4 body sprays. Unfortunately, the 1/2" copper running to the valve just doesn't provide enough flow to maintain a good flow rate when all 4 of the body sprays are on. I'm guessing if I ran a larger line right to the valve I might see some improvement, but the problem is that the Moen valve is 1/2" also.

Right now I have a 3/4" line that runs to the second floor of my house which then branches off into multiple 1/2" lines for shower/toilet/sinks. I could run the 3/4" line all the way up to valve, but I'm not sure how much the 3/4" line would increase pressure/flow since I'm stuck with the 1/2" valve.
Would running a 3/4" line to the 1/2" valve provide any better pressure/flow?

Any other suggestions on how I can get more pressure/flow?

Your piping arrangement in the wall could improve pressure.

A balanced loop would be best. This will increase volume after the valve therefore increasing pressure.

I wish I knew how to draw those fancy diagrams and post them on the internets like Brad does.

When piping in one of these multi function valves, I always run 3/4" right up to the valve, and bush down the last fitting as it turns to go into the valve itself. But I doubt that this alone will knock your socks off. Of course, if you are wearing socks in the shower, I suspect you have other problems as well......

Anyway, when piping in the body sprays, as Reedwalker said, you need a loop, and it needs to be as balanced as possible. Heck, I even increase the size right out of the transfer valve to 3/4" and pipe the loop in 3/4". Before the line reaches the first set of body sprays, T the line, with one line going up and the other going down. 90 the lines an equal distance above and below the respective head locations, and only reduce to 1/2" on the short section of pipe to the head itself. Carry the top and bottom pipes to the 2econd set of heads, T to each head off of the loop, and then carry the loop past the last set of heads the same distance as the loop started before the first set of heads. 90 the loop together. Piping the heads in this manner ensures that no head will get preferential pressure over another. Increasing the size of the piping in the loop will help reduce pressure losses from the fittings.

Back