Blockage i cant get past

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Reed

Reaction score
so my drain has been blocked for a while now but no one used that line so I just kind of left it I'm trying to fix the blockage and I cant get anything through it or past it. I tried a blow bag but that didn't do anything then I tried to rod it and that was like hitting a wall I swear it wouldn't budge I'm at a loss as to what to do next the whole line is in the ground and it goes under the house so breaking the concrete is a last resort any tips or tricks for a diy'er would be greatly appreciated.

Over the years I've learned that two of the lowest price-versus-effort jobs in a house are carpet laying & sewer cleaning.

Around here, the cost for a sewer or drain cabling, plus camera, by a licensed & insured plumber is 80.00 to 99.00. Usually including 30 days of free re-runs if needed.
Renting a sewer machine (no camera) is 85.00 for 2 hours.

Hopefully, pro work is low priced where you live also. (Check those pesky coupon envelopes that come in the mail.)

Keep in mind health considerations from not only pathogens, but a broken arm if the cable hangs & loops. (When I worked as a journeyman plumber in my 20's, it happened to co-workers more than once.)
Also consider if you rent a machine & the cable breaks, gets stuck or the cutter comes off you have a larger rental bill and a new project.

Plus the pro does the clean up and disinfecting, and you get a 100% cleaned line.

Just My Two Cents,
Paul

so my drain has been blocked for a while now but no one used that line so I just kind of left it I'm trying to fix the blockage and I cant get anything through it or past it. I tried a blow bag but that didn't do anything then I tried to rod it and that was like hitting a wall I swear it wouldn't budge I'm at a loss as to what to do next the whole line is in the ground and it goes under the house so breaking the concrete is a last resort any tips or tricks for a diy'er would be greatly appreciated.
What fixture are you trying to go thru?

Over the years I've learned that two of the lowest price-versus-effort jobs in a house are carpet laying & sewer cleaning.

Around here, the cost for a sewer or drain cabling, plus camera, by a licensed & insured plumber is 80.00 to 99.00.
Where is "around here"??

Where is "around here"??
Not anywhere close to me (Deep South gulf coast )at less than $100 to clean a sewer. I won’t even drive to your house for $100 unless I wanted to go out of business.

Last edited:
I was referring to Bird Doo Head and wondered in which city he lived...

Not anywhere close to me (Deep South gulf coast )at less than $100 to clean a sewer. I won’t even drive to your house for $100 unless I wanted to go out of business
I have a fun $100 plumber fee story. I was replacing the drain valve on a water heater at our cottage. The original metal one broke off and I needed a sawzall to cut the remaining piece off the threads. I didn't have all my tools with me (or even in the same state) and I needed to get the new valve on.

I called a neighbor to inquire if he had a sawzall as I had a plumbing issue. He said, "No, but I actually have a plumber standing right here, he was here to fix something, I can send him over when he is done."

Great, so the guy walks 15 feet to our cottage, I show him what I need to do, and ask if he has a sawzall. He said sure, goes to his van, gets one and brings it back to me, hands it to me, I cut the pipe, hand it back.

How much do I owe you?

"Well, my service call just to come here is $100"

I paid him $100, as frankly I was screwed for the moment without using his tool.

He gave me his card and urged me to call with any other plumbing needs. I have referred a different plumber in the area probably 10 times, never once this guy.

You can argue that it was worth $100 for a ten second cut or tool usage or not, but it felt predatory to me and would have served him well to say "oh $20 and a chance to earn your future business!" or something like that.

Your story just jogged my memory on that, it isn't anything like what you are saying, just reminded me of the story. I do agree with having a minimum number in mind before showing up! But this case as kinda special, and I used a tool and he did NOTHING.

Oh well, fun story to tell!

I ran an ad agency for years and every time I tried to do a small job for cheap as a favor to someone, I ended up spending way more time than it was ever worth.

I have a fun $100 plumber fee story. I was replacing the drain valve on a water heater at our cottage. The original metal one broke off and I needed a sawzall to cut the remaining piece off the threads. I didn't have all my tools with me (or even in the same state) and I needed to get the new valve on.

I called a neighbor to inquire if he had a sawzall as I had a plumbing issue. He said, "No, but I actually have a plumber standing right here, he was here to fix something, I can send him over when he is done."

Great, so the guy walks 15 feet to our cottage, I show him what I need to do, and ask if he has a sawzall. He said sure, goes to his van, gets one and brings it back to me, hands it to me, I cut the pipe, hand it back.

How much do I owe you?

"Well, my service call just to come here is $100"

I paid him $100, as frankly I was screwed for the moment without using his tool.

He gave me his card and urged me to call with any other plumbing needs. I have referred a different plumber in the area probably 10 times, never once this guy.

You can argue that it was worth $100 for a ten second cut or tool usage or not, but it felt predatory to me and would have served him well to say "oh $20 and a chance to earn your future business!" or something like that.

Your story just jogged my memory on that, it isn't anything like what you are saying, just reminded me of the story. I do agree with having a minimum number in mind before showing up! But this case as kinda special, and I used a tool and he did NOTHING.

Oh well, fun story to tell!

I ran an ad agency for years and every time I tried to do a small job for cheap as a favor to someone, I ended up spending way more time than it was ever worth.
He shouldn’t have loaned you any tools. If you got hurt he would have some liability.

Big time no no loaning tools to a homeowner.

Back