Best way to learn basics in plumbing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not looking to do side jobs or have a career in plumbing. Am just looking to become a little handier and learn the basics.

Obviously you tube helps and forums such as this.

I am at the point in my life were I would like to be a little handier and there is a community college not far from me that offers a basic plumbing class and if you complete that class there is a commercial plumbing class.

Am thinking of taking this class to learn the basics to work on my own home with small jobs. My question is do you think these classes would help with actually working on basic things such as

Replacing sinks, fixing minor leaks.

This is the class description for the basic plumbing course

Covers working knowledge and basic plumbing skills for installations and maintenance. Provides experience in pipe material selection, assembly, and tools commonly used by plumbers in their daily work.

It might be of some help. But to be honest, after taking 4 years of trade school at night while working in the field during the day, I feel that the two complemented each other, but I don't think what I learned in trade school by itself would in any way have made me ready to do plumbing work.

It might be of some help. But to be honest, after taking 4 years of trade school at night while working in the field during the day, I feel that the two complemented each other, but I don't think what I learned in trade school by itself would in any way have made me ready to do plumbing work.

Yeah, I know a guy who is a heating and cooling guy and he said the exact same thing. I would think for some one who is as un handy as me it would help.

Back