Best to add shut off valves to hose bibs in Texas

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickrock22

Reaction score
Over the last few years in Austin Texas we have had freezing weather and I have had a few exterior pipes break int winter. I would like to add some shutoff valves in the garage where the city waters enters the house. I have found the termination point near the water softener. There are 4 hard water pipes that feed the exterior hose bibs of the main before the softener. Ideally there would be one shutoff valve but I think it would be easier to add 4 on each copper line vs rebuilding the entire branch off of the main. I was thinking about using PEX becuase the copper looks like it needed to be bent/forced into the current configuration and I might have some difficulty getting copper to fit proerly. I was thinking that I could use a copper to PEX soldered connector on the copper coming up from the floor (goes to outdoor hose bibs) and down from the branch off the main. I would then create a PEX line with a ball valve in the middle of each of the 4 pex lines. Does this seem like a good way to do this? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I think I will need some type of door to access each winter and spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
It might be almost cheaper to just change to frostproof silcock's, that's all we use up north, but they're probably a lot longer than what you have. As long as the hoses are disconnected they're fine. Most of the newer ones are anti-siphon, they will drain out if the end of the hose is open.

It might be almost cheaper to just change to frostproof silcock's, that's all we use up north, but they're probably a lot longer than what you have. As long as the hoses are disconnected they're fine. Most of the newer ones are anti-siphon, they will drain out if the end of the hose is open.
Thanks for the response. I have 5 silcocks around the home. We are built on a slab. Some of the copper to the silcocks run down between the stone exterior wall and the 1 story tall foundation wall as the back of the house is built on a 1 story foundation due to down sloping backyard. In the freeze 2 years ago I had 2 different copper pipes freeze in the middle of the run 5-8 feet from the silcock. I dont think these homes were built with extreme weather in mind. I think I will need to find a way to keep the water out of the system for the winter.

I just discovered 4 loop copper manifold 1" / 3/4" with valves. Seems like a potential solution for my situation.

Last edited:
"I would like to add some shutoff valves in the garage."
We live a few miles south of you in San Antonio and what a joy it was to find the builder did it for us. See attached. (The box cover is removed.)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That is fantastic. I come from the north where the turn off valves were in the basement. That’s really great that they did that for you.

Latest posts

Back