Best method for tub strainer removal ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludington

Reaction score
Went to clean out the tub drain. I figured remove the strainer and start from there. Lo and behold the screw must not have been stainless and its rusted solid. So I can drill it out, use a grinder, or a vibrating type tool to cut the head off. I figure once I get the head and strainer off, I'd be able to hook onto it with some vice grips and work the threads out. As it's probably rusted solid below.
What would you use ?

pic worth 1000 words, or more
Didn't think a pic was needed for a rusted screw, but here it is.
I've cleaned out the slot but it's not turning, just ruining the slot even more.

Attachments

• 20240120_193119.jpg
    20240120_193119.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 0
If you have the tools, I suppose the crap screw could be drilled out and retapped.
A plumber would possibly remove the entire top half of the drain assembly.
Or maybe replace the drain shoe and the drain top half.

Didn't think a pic was needed for a rusted screw, but here it is.
I've cleaned out the slot but it's not turning, just ruining the slot even more.
Use a dremel and cut the head of that screw off. Pull the strainer and then work on getting the screw out of the shoe strainer. Spray it with rust remover then try to unscrew it.

If that fails cut it off with the dremel flush and then drill and re-tap the threads.

That or replace it all and you’ll need to get to the back of the tub. It can be a 30 min job or an all day job depending on what’s back there and if it’s accessible.

Use a dremel and cut the head of that screw off. Pull the strainer and then work on getting the screw out of the shoe strainer. Spray it with rust remover then try to unscrew it.

If that fails cut it off with the dremel flush and then drill and re-tap the threads.

That or replace it all and you’ll need to get to the back of the tub. It can be a 30 min job or an all day job depending on what’s back there and if it’s accessible.
Thanks, yup all accesable. Made sure of that when I installed it.
Being old and creaky, everything is an all day job.
I didn't think of a Dremel, but that's a great alternative. My mind was thinking grinder, but that throws sparks everywhere, so a dremel (like a mini grinder will work great.

Back