BEST Florida Building Code Approved Natural Gas Pipe To Use Underground?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoss

Reaction score
I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I have a lot for experience with PEX, PVC, CPVC, galvanized, and black pipe.

In 1993 I had natural gas run to my home. The installing company used ¾ “ galvanized pipe 18“ underground and then coated it with a black tar like substance. The gas has not been on for about 20 years. While examining the old buried galvanized pipe I found a ¼” hole in it. I defiantly DO NOT want to use galvanized pipe underground again as it does not hold up in Florida.

I now want to put in a Natural Gas Rinnai Tankless Water Heater, and also reconnect the gas log fireplace.

I will be applying for my own gas permit. I want to dig my own trench 18” down, place my own pipe in the trench along with a tracer wire beside it, and have it inspected by the County. After inspection put 6” of soil over the pipe, then place a yellow Caution Buried Gas Line Below Tape at 12”.

The final connections/fittings to the existing above ground GOOD galvanized pipe to the fireplace and connections to the Rinnai Tankless Water Heater will be done by a licensed gas plumber.

I see several types of gas lines I can purchase online, ¾ “ IPS Yellow Medium Density PE 2708 Gas Pipe
(SDR-11), GAS-TEC, Tracpipe, and others. I would like to know from professionals which product you think is the BEST that's Florida Building Code Approved For Natural Gas?

Again, all I will be doing is digging the trench and putting in the NEW pipe, tracer wire, and caution tape in the trench.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I can only assume POLYETHYLENE PLASTIC PIPE but I'm not in the business.
Why don't you check with the local gas company and code officials?
I assume you're running it from a somewhat remote gas meter??
Do you know how to size it for your demand and distance? Do you know the available pressure as well as the required pressure at point of demand?
You may want to consider possible future demands at this time as well.

You may want to check this out, also.
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/FFGC2017/chapter-4-gas-piping-installations

Back