Best Big Box Water Heater NG Power Vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
I will be helping a buddy install a new 40 gallon tall power vent natural gas water heater in the next few weeks.
Existing heater I installed for him ten years ago is atmospheric vent, but he is having his crumbling chimney demolished in March, as part of a new roof install.
His newer furnace already is power vent, so chimney is no longer needed.

I recommended Bradford White from a distributor, but he wants to go with HD, Lowes, or Menards.
I am just the free installer, so whatever he wants.

HD carries Rheem, Lowes has AO Smith, and Menards has Richmond Essential which I think is also by Rheem.

I think they are all six year warranty only.

Any thoughts on any of these, and any other things coming to mind?

You can’t just vent a regular water heater through the new roof ?

These big box tank heaters are all around $900.00 or so.
His kids are all gone, so it’s just him and his wife.
One bathroom, and one in the basement rarely used.

(from experience - and being an Agent) If you are going direct vent and they will be there for 5ish years, I'm with @Twowaxhack, go with the tankless. The resale value will offset the cost to install. (they may not need it but it'll be a bonus for new owners - with kids)

They are empty nesters, in mid 60’s, planning on living there til they croak.
So they are not interested in resale value.
Money is tight, no interest in going tankless.
They are getting my free labor, and I would not be willing or qualified to install a tankless, nor would I advise them to get one in their situation.

My buddy went with Richmond Essential from Menards.
I think it is made by Rheem.

I strained my already bad back while helping my elderly neighbor to her feet, after she wiped out on an icy sidewalk.
She was pretty much dead weight.

I wanted to wait awhile, but he was pressed for time, as this project was holding up demoing his chimney, ahead of a new roof which is now in progress.

So he hired a plumber neighbor who gives a good rate.

I disagreed on where they wanted to route and exit the pvc vent.

It is right next to the pvc intake for the furnace.

But it works, and will probably not be an issue, until they sell the house someday and it gets caught by the inspector.

Last edited:
Back