bellies in the main line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mks_97

Reaction score
I bought a property from Chase that apparently had a history of drain problems (another question to add to the list when chatting with neighbors before buying).

The property has a lateral line that runs 230 feet to the street (city sewer) with two clean outs along the way.

For the first 10 months I had no issues and then in the last 2 months, I have had the drain back back up twice. The last time I got it pressure jetted and filmed ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_vhLMbN6U"]see video[/ame]) About 100 feet from the property (just after the second clean out), there are flat spots where water (and hence grease) accumulate causing the line to block.

The person who cleaned the drain suggested pressure jetting the line 2-3 times a year to maintain the line (this could run me $320*3/year) or get the line replaced ($10K estimate for 120 feet of line running under asphalt)

I can't spend 10K at point was looking for other solutions. Is it possible to just periodically (once a month) snake the section of line myself, where the accumulation occurs (using the second clean out), rather than the expensive pressure jet technique (I can afford to buy one Rigid K-400 machine)? Thanks.

Cabling isnt gonna do much for the grease, or the significant amount of bellies, sorry to tell ya. I would go with the jetting at least twice your first year while using drain maintenance products monthly and strictly. Then you could probably scale the jetting back to once a year. I would also remove any and all garbage disposals to prevent anything from getting in there that shouldnt. my two cents.

Couple of questions:
1. Can you specify what drain maintenance products you are referring to?

2. I thought garbage disposals were good. How would removing them help?

Unfortunately, this is a rental, so I have less control over what goes in the drain.

Personally I would tear out and redo the line. Shop around or do it yourself. I personally can do it as a home owner renting tools and subbing out the asphalt for around 3 grand or less.

If i were to bid that for my company to do it would be in the 5 grand range.

Just think do you want to have to keep working on this thing and wondering when you are gonna get the call that it isn't working or fix it and not have to worry about it?

Anything that is not caustic and is advertised as a maintenance/degreaser. Enzymes may help too, but you will have to see for yourself what will work best in your particular situation.

Garbage disposals are a drain cleaners best friend. Your drainage system is not a substitute for a garbage can but disposers allow people to treat it as such. I can almost gaurantee it is contributing a hefty portion to your buid up issues. If they are rentals than it is even more of a reason to ditch the disposer. If they don't own it and aren't paying the jetting bill, why would they care what they can or can't shove down they drain? So don't give them the option.

Replacement = Quick but expensive fix.

Maintenance = Cheaper for the time being but more work in the long run.

Either way I would 86 the disposers.

Back