beginner needs help fixing leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Keller

Reaction score
plumbing 1.jpg PLUMBING 2.jpg The pipe I am showing a picture of is leaking from the places where it is joined together. How hard is this to fix? can a novice do it? how do I disconnect the copper line at the top from the pvc pipe? Is there a reason the pipe is spliced 3 different times? How do I separate the splices? I will need to put the new pipe into lower section of the old pipe,so I need to keep it intact and not cut it. Reason for that is because there is a crawl space under the house and I can't fit into it so the repairs will have to be made from the top. Please be specific about parts and supplies needed,I will be working 20 miles from the closest store. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 18249 View attachment 18250 The pipe I am showing a picture of is leaking from the places where it is joined together. How hard is this to fix? can a novice do it? how do I disconnect the copper line at the top from the pvc pipe? Is there a reason the pipe is spliced 3 different times? How do I separate the splices? I will need to put the new pipe into lower section of the old pipe,so I need to keep it intact and not cut it. Reason for that is because there is a crawl space under the house and I can't fit into it so the repairs will have to be made from the top. Please be specific about parts and supplies needed,I will be working 20 miles from the closest store. Thanks for the help!!
Well here's frodo's parts!
You may want to put them together before cementing the PVC Male Adapter to the existing PVC pipe that you'll be cutting.
Water supply Assy.jpg
Right frodo?

That connection to the sinks copper line is a brass screwed fitting. But I can't tell if that's a cement fitting but in any case you'd have to cut the PVC pipe about a foot below that and then unscrew it. If it's pretty tight, you may have to hold that brass fitting, connected to the copper pipe, to keep it from turning and twisting the pipe.

Last edited:
Back