BathTub Spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm6621

Reaction score
Replaced my tub spout and the water doesn't seam to flow out of it properly. When using hot water it sprays out towards the sides and cold water not as much. Thought it was a defective spout but bout a different one with the same outcome. Behind the wall is a 1/2" brass elbow which had a close nipple to a 1/2" x 3/4" bushing. Threaded onto the 3/4" male threads of the bushing was a white plastic "thing", not sure what to call it, which went all the way out to the end of the spout where the spout threaded onto it, 3/4" threads. I changed it and went from that 1/2" elbow behind the ball straight out with 6" x 1/2" nipple to a 1/2" female threaded spout. Will this cause my problem, the way i changed it? Doesn't seam like it would matter.

image.jpg

This picture is when using hot water, it seams to spray outwards.

Was the 1/2" to 3/4" bushing i mentioned some kind of pressure reducer. It wasn't a normal looking bushing and unfortunately i don't have it to post a picture. Here is a picture using just cold water, as you can see, it does not spray out to the sides as much as when using hot water.

image.jpg

Ya i thought thats how the pressure reducing valves work. But i never had a problem with the old spout as far as spraying outward until i changed the way it was set up and installed a new spout. Well it works so im just leaving it. Maybe its the design of the spout itself and how the water passes by the diverter.

This is what was installed before i added the New Spout. It was a short 1/2" nipple coming through the wall (from an Elbow inside the wall), to that brass fitting in the picture (which i am wondering what purpose this serves, looks like it just is something to increase 1/2" threads to 3/4"), then that white plastic insert threaded onto the 3/4" brass fitting followed by the spout threaded onto this plastic insert. I changed it and ran a longer 1/2" nipple from the elbow in the wall directly out where i have the new spout threaded onto that, 1/2". Since changing this is when the flow of the water has changed. Just wondering if this increase from 1/2" to 3/4", the original setup, had anything to do with the flow of the water coming out of the spout.

image.jpg

I think it's the style of the spout. That spout has basically a flat wall that blocks the water to make it divert to the shower head. That little plastic wall still gets hit with water when the tub portion is in use.

Latest posts

Back