Bathtub handles spin - replace handles or cartridges/stems?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmandra

Reaction score
Hi,

My bathtub has two handles - one controlling 'hot' and one controlling 'cold'. Lately, I've had a difficult time turning the water off because the handles are now able to spin completely around (previously, they would stop at the proper point and turn off the water).

I removed the handles and see a blue recessed cylinder that allows me to turn the water on and off (vs using the handles). The blue cylinders appear slightly cracked. My research tells me the fixture might be a Moen - not really sure how I can tell.

Question - what needs to be replaced? Is it the handles, since they keep spinning? ? The blue cylinders (are these cartridges? Stems?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited:
That is a moen faucet, the broken part is known as a "Faucet Stem Extension Adapter"

You can buy them at most plumbing suppliers, or call moen at 1-800-289-6636 and tell them you need a 97479 kit. If they ask if you are the original owner say yes (the warranty is non-transferable). They should mail the parts to you in a couple of days.

I have a poopload of these in my parts desk, but talking to my delta and moen reps over lunch recently was enlightening. Up here in Canada moen, delta and PF supply retailers with mass amounts of common repair parts. Consumers come in and say "Muh..broken tap" and we say "Here...you take and fix".

Apparently in the US they give a lot less parts to stores, instead preferring people to call the manufacturer directly. Or more likely, US retailers don't want to bother.

Latest posts

Back